Tuesday 1 October 2019

Windy windy weather

So I had thought that a fairly flat farming country could be a tad windy - but today, even the Hungarians were looking a bit puzzled.  Receptionist at hotel, says maybe once every 6 months its like this!
But not all is bad!!!  for most of the day I was being blown wildly along, loving every speedy second of it.  But these things never last and its always the last 10km that's the hardest!  Why did the road have to turn back into the wind?  But it was only a couple of kms when it was blowing madly from the side and another couple when it was push-bike time and just try not to fall over!  Serious Hurricane Hungary!  But then the road turned back to the east and I was blown happily into Komarom.
2 highlights today - Harvest festival displays and a bump through the forest.
The pretty little town of Bana were having a competition - similar to xmas lights perhaps - and at first I was just going to take 3 photos, but then how could on ignore this one - or that one!  see below...  there seemed to be a Halloween theme happening in some too...
I am loving the little towns along the way.  Tidy little houses, plastered brick mostly and really colourful gardens of a wide variety of flowers, though roses of all shapes and size are common, while geraniums and pelargonians (?) are also brightening up the town.  Plus heaps more annuals, still looking perky!
So I have been expecting cold weather, so didn't really bring any light clothing...  Temp today at one stage.... 30C!!!  On a little short-cut through the forest, I stopped and dug deep into my clothes bag and found the light t-shirt that I had bought in Vienna and although I didn't expect any traffic on this track, I had to wait for 2 vehicles to pass before I felt safe enough to quickly change my thick t-shirt for the lighter one.  Further along in one of the towns I saw a clothes shop and in I went and came out with a light cotton check shirt!  My inner bogan being exposed I know, but truly there were no other long-sleeved shirts as winter clothing is all the range at the moment.  Actually the shop was interesting, it being absolutely crammed with rows of clothes on one side and on the other there were shoes.  It had the look of an Op shop, but everything was new...  and only pay in cash!  luckily I had already found an atm yesterday.
So a good day mostly, even one small rise in the ground, not that I was wishing for it.  But an easy 55km with just a tad of a struggle in between!  Getting closer to Budapest!
Oh and I saw a little snake!  about 30cm!  don't think it was big enough to bite, or if it was poisonous, but it was enjoying the sun on the road, until I truck came along!  It only got a scare and decided that it should get off the road!











5 comments:

  1. Wow Chris, Just hopped on the computer to see what you were doing and was going to suggest a catchup but you are in Hungary!! Amazing photos and stories. Enjoy and see you some time when you are back and rested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept thinking I should contact Aileen, but time slipped away... we'll catch up for sure when I get back! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Sh!t that’s windy!!! Fabulous photos and yay for finding a good shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, think that wind beat the head wind in NZ last time... or on a par. hope no more!

    ReplyDelete