Sunday 6 October 2019

Damp but pleasant ride to Solt

Yesterday has been forgotten and today we soldier on! 
A great breakfast at the 1 Star guest house - have upgraded it to 2 stars now...  I told them I didn't eat meat, so there was scrambled eggs, the usual tomato, capsicum and cucumber slices, plenty of white bread and cream cheese triangles or marg.  there were also 2 hard boiled eggs, but I had no room for them.  There was also braised capsicum, tomato and onion to spoon over the scrambled eggs and to finish off bread with real homemade apricot jam...  dark and delicious!  Oh and strong coffee to wash it all down.  Although the other customers (tho not having brekky) all looked a tad dodgy, I blame that on BBC crime series that always have the baddies looking like either Polish or Hungarians!!  Either crew cuts or dreds tied up in pony tails...  playing pool at 8am is a tad different tho! 
Chilly start - 8C - and spitting cold drops of rain, meant that I was all dressed up in rain coat, neck warmer, helmet cover and tried out my new rainproof gloves and they worked!  best ebay buy ever!!
Just down the main road, I turned onto a narrow and bumpy street that ran right alongside the Danube, behind holiday houses. 
This country is full of opposites!  really pretty and tidy houses, mostly high peaked roofs and beautiful rose gardens next to a falling down dongas, plaster crumbling from dodgy brick walls, weeds and dead cars in their yards - neighbours from hell, maybe!  weather is a bit like that too!  one day nice and warm and sunny and the next day, cold and wet!  so far (and I'm whispering now) the wind has kept away!!  :)  phew! 
today's ride was also full of opposites... from smooth new sealed roads to bone shattering rough track on top of flood dyke bumping over of grass clumps, to dashing along a short section of busy main road, no shoulders and edges broken - being buzzed by trucks!  thankfully that last bit was only for a couple of kms cos I was dodging another 5km of grassy track! 
There is one problem with always riding on a bike path - they dodge around the towns, so trying to find a supermarket or somewhere for coffee is limited.  so when I zinked into a servo hoping to find a coffee, I was not expecting to find such a neat little place, and laminax red and white theme, bright red real flowers on red/white gingham table clothes...  and nice strong expresso!!!  that kept me going for quite awhile!
and suddenly, I was at Solt!  just 55km today - only 2km further than guidebook said, but probably my dash along the main road added that.  And the EV6 signs were all along the way - where were they yesterday!  move on!!! 
Tonight's accommodation is wonderful!!! I was greeted by a very friendly man, who quickly opened up the garage and showed me where to park Hennie.  His wife came out and asked me if I would like a beer or a soft drink....  well, maybe 3pm is a little early for beer for me, so she came back with a cool lemon drink - am sure it was homemade cordial...  nice!  Then I was showed my room - bright and clean, even a fridge and a little stove and sink...  now that is really unusual.  And she offered to ring and order pizza for me which arrived right on time (5:30) and gave me a stubby to have with the pizza...  all this for $45...  feels like 5 star to me!  biggest problem was no bottle opener, no such thing as twist tops here...  after a tad of swearing I used one of the spoons to level cap off - with no visible damage to the spoon!  Win....
So ends another day cycling through the countryside of Hungary... far from cities as possible...  there was even about 5 horse and carts clopping past here just on sunset... maybe farm workers coming home...  who knows, just that they went past too fast for me to grab camera and rush out to snap!
talking of photos, not so many today because I am not keen on getting the camera wet! 










so have got email from booking.com saying the debacle last night, has been forgotten - no charges! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad they are not charging you for that closed down hotel!!
    Loving the photos.

    ReplyDelete