Wednesday 9 October 2019

Last full day in Hungary

Hardly believe that I am approaching the border between Hungary and Croatia, but its true.
so while I was free-wheeling along the neat and tidy flood dyke bikeway (still being shared with an occasional car), I was pondering about what I have learnt about Hungary in the past few days.
They know how to grow corn, leaps into my mind...  I have seen so many fields full of corn waiting to be harvested.  There seems to tractors dragging huge trailers filled with something, am guessing corn!  There seems to be a fair bit of pride in their land and litter is around, but not as bad as in Australia, so that gets a tick.  The towns are full of old houses, that look cared for and pretty gardens of roses and other flowers, still brightening up the scenes.  I can honestly say I have felt it to be quite a safe country for a single woman to cycle.  I haven't felt uncomfortable or threatened in any way.  Admittedly there does seem to be a lot more men around, usually in groups of 4 or 5, gossiping away while the woman are probably at home, gardening or cooking!  But I have received smiles and nods and an occasional one-sided conversation!  I would say that generally, they are quite reserved and not that ready to stop and chat.  which suits me!
I was expecting a brownish country, harvesting finished so empty fields, either ploughed before winter sets in or left bear.  But its still very green, the grass was being slashed as I rode along the dyke. 
Animals are a tad light on the ground, but I did see another squirrel today, but mostly seeing cats.  I saw another beautiful and cheeking squirrel today, just a flash of tail before it disappeared up the tree.
Cats are everywhere - usually in the vicinity of a farm house, but definitely out prowling away getting ready to pounce on some unsuspecting mouse or bird.  Today there were also random dogs just snoozing in the sun on the side of the dyke.  One looked a bit dodgy, but it slunk off into the forest, much to my relief - the others just ignored me. 
The birds continue to keep me happy - especially today I saw a robin red-breast!  have heard them all along, but they are so hard to see amongst all the leaves.
I think winter is approaching as the day started off at 2 but with the bright sunshine, it was really great cycling weather - except when there was shade and then the chill really hit...  and the wind did try and blow in from the front, but thankfully the path twisted and turned, so it wasn't all the time headwind. 
So tomorrow I cross the border into Croatia... my guide books advises me that there are very little sign posts, so I am hoping that I have bookmarked the way as closely as possible.  So a new country, a new language (just when I worked out open or closed!) new money and we will see if there are other differences.  I am just skimming along the eastern border, having crossed over the Blue Danube today, so I think only 2 days in Croatia...  so please don't expect me to become and expert!  :)  and after the past 3 days being only low totals, we shall see how I go with at least 75km tomorrow!  not so much dribbling along!  hoping the weather is going to be kind - one day is often so different than the previous! 















1 comment: