Wednesday 16 October 2019

Rattling along the Danube to Kovin

I was determined to continue with my short cuts theory and on checking Map.me, I reckon I could see a farm track down to the Danube - even a couple of options.  So lets go!
Well, the first turn-off was a bit confusing - seemed like I should drive into some large industrial site...  hmmm... better keep going a bit.  The 'bike path' alongside the road was getting smaller and rougher, so when I got to Starcevo, I was sure I could find a farm track out the back of this and sure enough...  looking good.
There were a couple of tractors coming back with trailers of corn cobs going one way, empty trailers going the other...  They gave me a smile and a wave. but am sure that they thought I was crazy, but I was on a mission...  the track got smaller but now I could see the tree-line of the Danube, so keep going!  the track finished, but I was so close, so couldn't stop now.  Pushing Hennie through a stubble patch, I could see that there was a drain ahead!  hoping there wasn't muddy water at the bottom and Yay!  dry as a bone... but too steep for me to push a loaded Hennie to the top, so off with the four panniers and a bit of grunt, Hennie and her panniers were soon up on other side...  The flood dyke was just there and of course the next problem was to get up that steep bank too...  But aha!!  up ahead there was a not so steep road...  so we rode off to that and with a bit more grunting, we were soon standing on top of the dyke and it was a nice gravel road - better than some of the roads I have been riding - and no traffic...
Just down the other side was a shady spot - perfect place for picnic, so we skidded down there and a banana and a handful of pistachios was just enough to get us on our way! I probably added an extra 3km to my ride today, but who cares, we were on our way and life just got a whole lot better.
Suddenly autumn was showing her beautiful colours again...  I think that there's a bit more serious colouring happening now.  Sun shining, birds chirping and occasional glimpses of the Danube - what more could I want...
so this was more apple orchard country, tho corn fields were scattered in amongst the orchards.  I stopped to allow a tractor and trailer pass.  As they got closer, I could see that it was a woman driving, looking very serious.  But when she was passed me, she stopped the tractor and we smiled at each other.  There were 3 helpers crouched on a ledge between the tractor and the trailer.  She said something and one of the guys reached up and gave me 4 big rosey apples...  win win!  with a bit of a wave and away they went!  Later on, I was munching on a crisp, juicy apple!  yum!
later on I caught up with another cyclist - a young French woman that I had seen earlier at a ferry crossing.  Lily is doing the whole distance, starting at the Atlantic going all the way to the Black Sea.  didn't get to find out how long she's been on the road, but she's ditched the others and progressing ever forwards...  we discussed the traffic and then she was on her way.  i went down to the river for a break...  sad to see that now, here in Serbia, the edges of the river are chokfull of plastic bottles and other rubbish...  a clean environment is just not on their agenda...  its pretty sad!
but ever forwards and eventually Kovin was starting to appear...
there was another altercation with a pack of dogs, but I decided to do the passive trick...  getting off my bike and walking slowly and talking quietly - they were much calmer than yesterday's mob...  and that worked...  there was a real junk pile and a very fat man came out to look up at the dogs, but did little else...  I walked on and they lost interest, so back on Hennie and we pedalled into the outskirts of Kovin... I thought I had booked into a B&B, but it was a grand hotel.  Well once I signed in, I was shown to my room, up 2 floors and no lift...  great, just what I need...  think I should have gone with another apartment, because the room smelt badly of tobacco - again.  I opened the window and turned on the air conf fan full blast and fingers crossed the smell will go away.  After I cleaned up and washed my clothes, I sauntered down to the restaurant, ordered a beer and a mineral water and the waiter said the chef can make a vego dish - all good...  not sure how long that thumping music will go on for - just after 11pm now...
again, the photos will have to wait until the next time!
cutting thru the corn stubble

autumn picnic spot


collecting boxes of apples

Flood dyke path!!  rough but noooo traffic

there's always a church

proud tiny town of Ivanovo


baby plantation of birch trees

Business opportunity - Coffee stop for cyclist - needs some work

littered with plastic bottles and another one coming in

weird tree stumps?

my favourite for today:
The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water,
but to walk on the earth.
No scary dog movies today - tho, wonder if I captured the police "talking" to some lads!  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment