Sunday 20 October 2019

Last day - down the Gorge and back again

I had the best sleep ever last night...  some things weigh on your mind without you knowing about them, I think.
An early start for a quick ride down the valley was the plan...  but I was just feeling like I was on holidays!  but eventually Hennie - without all those bags - and me headed off down to the river.  Oh, there's a cruise ship in and a little market, I had better check that out!
The women in the area had all set up little tables covered with tablecloths with embroidery and crochet edges.  Some were hand done and others were machine stitched and all a bit inflated price for those wealthy women from the cruise.  But I found a couple of things, then Hennie and me were on our way...  But an elephant?  Here?  as strange as the head-standing elephant at GOMA!



Its so different cycling without the bags!  It was just like a Saturday morning ride at home... without Roxy in her basket tho...  At first, we had to ride up alongside a river that was almost as wide as the Danube, because that's where the bridge was...  and once over that, we turned back to the Danube to keep going down with the river, but it wasn't all down, in fact it was more a gently slope upwards.  The river was still wide at first, but then Romania started to creep closer - or was it Serbian encroaching towards Romania...  But the Danube keep them apart and at peace, for the time being anyways.
The road was right on the edge of the river, with the forested hills coming right down to the edge.  I am a bit puzzled with what I see in Romania...  There's a huge wind farm marching off into the distance.  The road on that side, looks bigger and wider and in places it looks like it might even be built out over the water...  In fact it looks much more modern than Serbia.  I really don't know anything about Romania - except being warned about farm dogs (and I love their music!).  maybe another time... or not!
One thing I wanted to see on this trip was autumn colours and I have certainly seen heaps of that, especially this past week.  There's hardly any green leaves left on most of the trees.  Some are already bare, while their leaves litter the ground.  Each little town I have ridden through, there's someone out there with a straw broom, sweeping leaves.  Unfortunately, often there's also a smouldering pile of leaves as well. 
I decided to stop at the 22km mark just on the other side of the longest tunnel.  I was still about 4km away from where the really tight bit is, but it was all downhill and that would mean a long grind back up and I had a fair bit to do today, so I pulled the pin and lent Hennie up against a barrier, had a snack and watched the antics of the tour boats, dodging each other trying to get to the best part of the gorge.  Of course there was always one that had to do "wheelies".  
Now it was time to get back to the unit and get another load of washing on, sort out my stuff and also to give Hennie a very good bath...  but going back meant I was now riding on the side closest to the river!  a bit scary as there wasn't always a barrier and no shoulder.  But we made it without too many hassles and with great relief.  
I must say, that I have really enjoyed being in this apartment - making me think that maybe it could be fun to stay in one place and look all around before moving onto the next place...  hmmm....  where to next time???
and so I have caught up on the blogs.  and so to bed!  goodnight!!!  :)                                                             
Bagless!!


Romania



1 comment: