Tuesday 22 October 2019

Tourist in Belgrade

Keeping an open mind (as reminded by Emma) I headed off along the streets of Belgrade.  Firstly the staff at the hotel tried to track down a box to pack Hennie in, but the closest one was over 4km away and the suggestion to catch a tram there didn't really work for me, as I can't imagine getting back on a tram with an empty bike box - so we're going to see if we can wing-it at the airport!  wish us luck!!
So I wandered lonely as a cloud (especially with these blue skies!) around the close-by streets, trying to get my bearings, but the street plan seems to have evolved over the hundreds of years and Colonel Light would have a conniption if he saw this street layout...  Needless to say, without some app - in my case Map.Me, I would still be wandering but being a rather dark cloud!!
I had to come back for a break before lunch and after a lay-down, I was now getting hungry and had to find somewhere to eat. 
I had it in my mind to visit the Jewish Museum, but ended up in the middle of the shopping strip and its maze of streets and alleys and of course got lost.   I found a place for lunch and some people watching and enjoyed the Vegi spring rolls with chips, a totally different taste, with roasted capsicum and tomatoes with tahini sauce...  and sitting outside meant that some of the tobacco smoke was spread out.  But by then the museum was closed, so I had to find me way back to the hotel...  My biggest worry is "what if I run outa phone battery"!!  how did I survive before Map.Me...
So more photos today - here's a selection! 






too many leaves to sweep here, Carl!

Inside St Mark's


Impressive mosaics


St Mark's Cathedral

The broadcast centre that was bombed by NATO in 1999
has been kept as a memorial to the lives lost on that day


Photo bombing pigeon

great musician



2 comments: