Monday 7 October 2019

chilly but sunny to Kalocsa

after a blustery wet storm that rushed through Solt last night, today was quite sunny mostly but chilly... starting off at 9 and I think it got up to 16.  I had layers of clothes and although bulky I was warm enough.  Its all about the clothing!
Have I said how flat this country is?  Today I felt I could have been riding along in South Australia - wide open farmlands, the corn crops are dying off now, some crops have been harvested so just stubble left in the paddocks, as well as drying corn, waiting for the harvesters.  The road was lined with trees which served as a great wind break, although the wind was coming either from behind or from just one side.  This area is know for its paprika, in fact there's a Paprika Museum just down the road.  I saw several houses and sheds with columns of capsicums drying for paprika.
half the day was spent riding up along the top of the flood dykes, this time beautifully sealed and then riding along quiet country roads with only a little bit of Sunday traffic.  so with only 48 km to travel, it was a real Sunday ride.  and soooo flat! 
I haven't seen much wildlife on this tour, but today I saw 2 deer tiptoeing through the stubble of a crop, but they blended in so well, I didn't bother getting the camera out...  Oh!  I have seen some squirrels - one was almost black and quite big.  I love this cute critters, so cheeky!  The bird life is quite vocal, but so good at hiding behind all the leaves.  I have seen lots of Great Tits (no comments thanks) and they are the most vocal apart from the sparrows.  But have regularly seen woodpeckers, not sure if its the lesser or greater, but woodpeckers indeed!  There's pigeons and hooded crows and heaps of seagulls following after tractors that are ploughing the fields.  Only an occasional magpie seen, still one of my favourite birds and there's heaps of Mallard ducks, I haven't identified any other ducks.  There's egrets and a heron or 2, but no storks, just an occasional nest in one of the many small towns I have ridden through.  Think they might have already left for Africa! 
Today, for the first time, I saw other touring cyclists, it must have been a tour as there were probably up to 50 cyclists in dribs and drabs and by the accent, probably came from USA.  Thankfully, they were going in the opposite direction :)  and my peace and quiet wasn't too severally impinged! 
so am chugging slowly southwards towards the Croatian border...  I have found the Hungarians to be friendly and have felt safe and not threatened in any way.  English has been spoken at all the places I have stayed, except one and with the help of Google all was well...  Today an older woman stopped to tell me all about a church I was photographing - so seriously even tho I said I didn't understand, so I opted for smiling and nodding and all was well.  But as I rode off the bell began to chime and maybe that she was trying to tell me.  it was midday and the bell tolled for 5 minutes.
anyways, here's some pics!
Matias and Caty gave me a t-shirt with this saying on it!

Eurvelo6 Stop - my favourite so far!  Cycle-themed!


escaping piglets, who scampered back to their farm!  so cute!

damn good coffee here, even to it looks like a bar



dead snake!

Capsicums hanging in bags to dry into paprika



Ferenc Rakoczi - leader of uprising against the Hapsburgs - 1704.. 
Revered throughout this area







Kalocsa Cathedral

Archbishop's palace in Kalocsa


1 comment: