Tuesday 8 October 2019

Cruising to Baja

Before heading off this morning, I did a bit of shopping in the mall of Kalocsa.  It was quite a pretty little town, under the watchful eye of the Cathedral and palace.   I went into one shop which was jam-packed with everything!  6C this morning, made me realise that the cardigan I bought, is just not going to be warm enough - but I just couldn't buy one of those puffy jackets!  I did find another lined coat that should cut the windchill in the future.
Another cruisy day, almost totally on the bike way - the first half just a gravel section running along the top of the flood dyke, which was quite smooth and easy to ride.  on the right, the Danube slipped quietly by, usually hidden behind a thick corridor of forest, only occasionally an opening to actually go down to the river.  At one place there were 3 cruise ships tied up and couples were checking out the souvenir shop or strolling around a fairly vacant lot. 
The rest of the way was on a sealed bikeway on top of the flood dyke, except occasionally a car would come zooming up and I would have to stop and get off onto the grass to let it continue past without hardly slowing down.... 
As I pedalled along, all by myself, my thoughts wandered to question why I enjoy this type of travel... I think its the freedom of it all...  No buses or trains to catch, so taxis to organise, just when I am ready, away I go.  I can stop and go when I want to...  Although the scenery isn't amazing, its just giving me an idea of life in Hungary in this farming area.  Tractors are zooming around, ploughing and seeding and harvesting. Or the forests - autumn colours, birds zooming around, which reminds me - a green woodpecker today!  Heaps of buzzards and crows following the tractors!  But no animals...  not even a hedgehog!  Solitary - which I really enjoy!
nearly rode past Fajsz, but thought I should check it out.  The street was lined with little gardens, beautiful dark red roses, plus other flowers, still going strong... Guess there hasn't been a frost - Yet!  I found a comfy bench by the church and sat down and had a snack.  There was a woman poking around down behind the church and just as I was getting ready to leave, she tottered up on an old bike, stopped and handed me a bag of fruit with a big smile and away she rode!  grapes (purple and green) 2 pears, 3 tomatoes...  freshly picked from her garden.  There wasn't really much room in my panniers, but I found a corner, a bit amazed by her generosity! 
I think I have only one more day in Hungary, a really short ride tomorrow - due to lack of accommodation in between places.  Maybe I will look around Baja... or maybe not! 
anyways - here's some pics from today... 



















2 comments: