Friday 18 October 2019

Enjoying the South Bank

After a quickly scoffed breakfast, Hennie and I rushed off to catch the ferry.  It was 12 km away and I wasn't sure what the road was like, but apart from one little rise, it was an easy ride and we were at the ferry 40 minutes early...  I could hear deliverance music ringing in my ears - am sorta glad I didn't just rock up here looking for a bed...  there are a couple of options, but I reckon they would all be worthy rivals for the Rollingstone Pub...  I bought a coffee and waited and waited.  I eventually got the nod that I had to move to the other ramp and then I see a rough sign saying ferry departs at 10:30...  so no drama...
Eventually it arrived and unloaded its 3 cars and once we were all on board, we chugged off to Ram.  What a nice little place! And what a difference a border makes?   Immediately I felt a different vibe, but maybe because Ram is only a little town... The 3 cars and one motorbike roared off and suddenly there was peace and quiet.  I could hear voices of men discussing whatever, as they sat outside the corner shop, there was a rooster crowing, birds tweeting - a dog barked somewhere but not at me, so peaceful!  I pushed Hennie up the hill and at the top there was a little lookout, so thought we would sit and ponder the scenery - unfortunately shrouded in a blue haze of pollution, but even so, it was a really good vantage point...  I wonder how many do stop...  there was only a bit of litter around, so maybe not too many.  Its always a great idea to stop on the top of a hill...  Hennie and I just coasted down the hill and we just kept going!  mostly on minor roads, which at first I thought were bike paths as they were so narrow, but not so!  cars going back and forth but not too many... 
The signs seems to be made for me today...  so many seemed spot on!  so excuse the extra photos of them today.
The air pollution is constant tho - blue haze!  hard for photography!  some is smoke from farmers buying corn stubble - sad that practice is still happening...  but why is this side so much tidier?  Obviously the council has a better garbage collection policy as there are a lot more garbage bins and skips that aren't overflowing or surrounded by piles of rubbish.  People seem to be quicker to smile here too - and some houses are looking new and/or well cared for.  Maybe its a more affluent area, but the farms are still growing corn and apples...  who knows.
so no dramas and just an easy pedal makes for a happy chappy on a bike!!   I cruised along a nice new bike path right on the edge of the Danube into the small township of Golubac, saw Murphy in action with his bricklaying (see below!) got growled and barked at by two stray dogs, but found the great little apartment, that's straight out of an Ikea showroom! 


getting the hang of a foreign currency - 3430 dinar = $33 roughly - I think


Minds, like parachutes, only function when they are open

Like all good travellers I have seen more than I can remember,
and remember more than I have seen


The ferry...  it grinds into the gravel bank and the workers come
out with shovels to smooth out the dirt so the cars don't
bump off too sudden!


Castle at Ram - closed for renos

Nice place to stop on the top of a hill

Fancy house with a vineyard

so here's me...  apparently I don't take too many selfies - I wonder why!!


If you look like your passport photo, you're too tired to cycle
- take a rest at Silver Lake


Bob Hawke in his younger days

Maybe you are lucky to be going so slowly,
because you maybe going in the wrong direction 
And about 50m down the road, I did turn right instead of left but thankfully Map.Me found me again!







so what did I mean about Murphy not being at work?  Well its an old Irish folk song, about bricks falling out of a wheelbarrow as its being hauled up a floor or two...  I tried to upload the clip, but it didn't work, so here's just a moment, from the video...  you might have to squint a bit!







No comments:

Post a Comment