Friday 4 October 2019

Resting in Budapest

Peeping out thru the curtains this morning, I see blue skies and some clouds!  The breeze seemed cool, when I opened the window, but it was still early.
Breakfast here is pretty extensive, so I sampled quite a lot!
Then I checked out where to go...  within walking distance were 2 art galleries, classical and contemporary plus a park and the old Gate Tower...  why go further.  I know there are heaps of things to see and do in Budapest, but one day is not enough to see everything!
So out the back door first to check on Hennie who is lurking under a tree, carefully locked to the stand out in the weather.  But she looked happy enough, but I wasn't!  It was freezing!!  blue skies maybe, bitterly cold wind definitely!!  so back inside to add another layer.  Well, looks like autumn weather has caught up with me...
Just inside the entrance to the Art Gallery there is a restored exhibition hall, with wonderful wall decorations.  But in the other galleries, I got a bit swamped with all the gruesome things that humans do to each other and after awhile, one really can't take another crucifixion! and how did a cockatoo get into a 1710 painting?  so back out into that breeze!  It was lunch time and there was a restaurant by the little lake, so a beer and ravioli (the only vego option) looked good and when they both arrived, I was pretty happy with my choice!  But why stop there?  Tapioca pudding (lemon flavoured) topped with pineapple sorbet and an expresso to finish off a gourmet experience.  Burp!  Better go for a bit more walking.
On the other side of the lake was an weird looking old building so went over to check that out.  It was the Gatehouse Tower with some other old buildings inside.  I paid 300huf  ($1.50) to go up into the first tower, which led out onto the walkway above the gateway.  16C with wind, must be something like -16!!
by now, the day was slipping away and as I wanted to check out the contemporary gallery, I headed off.  Saw the abso cutest thing, a little scruffy dog who had a Hungarian flag strapped to its back.  It looked so happy - and yes!  I am missing Roxy! (been seeing lots of cute dogs, but none like Roxy!)
The contemporary gallery had an exhibition of 4 Hungarian artists - they were quite interesting paintings - one bright and playful paintings of down at the beach - could almost have been Australian...  by now, I was getting tired of all this culture, so headed back to hotel to recharge my batteries for another 55km ride ahead tomorrow.  Am expecting a cold and blustery day but maybe sunshine for one more day.  Its blowing gale force winds in Western Europe and pouring with heavy rain in Romania - am hoping for a bit of a lull in between!
I keep getting blown away but the age of all these things around here...  sooo much history. 

Is Kristina Kenelley running for Hungarian Parliament?











Just a puddle and some autumn leaves



still windy!




No comments:

Post a Comment