Saturday 14 May 2016

Day 9: made it to Karlshamn

tried to make an early get away, but failed yet again...  the grey sky and bitter cold wind didn't help either....  but at least I have got to use the winter clothes at last - so lets get out of town!!

I think that was the easiest exit of a city so far!!  or am I getting better at reading the maps!!

so I went inland for a change and dodging highway 9 - and mostly rode along small country roads through the usual pretty countryside.  stopped at a castle today - Backaskoggs slott...  we're talking back to the 1140's - but there was a wedding happening, so a bit crowded within.

in lake country now - and the castle was built on a small strip of land between two large lakes.  and eventually the clouds were blown away and the sun started to shine strongly and by noon, I could take off my jacket and by 2pm I had the beanie and neck warmer off as well!!  wow!!

and discovered that Sweden actually does have some small hills - but enjoyed the going down as usual :)

eventually i got onto the bike path to lead me into Karlshamn.  Matias and I arrived here in 2010 on the ferry from Lithuania - and I went thru the intersection that Matias sailed thru without any brakes!!  it was quite busy today, luckily he sailed thru it early in the morning!!

thought I would try a cabin tonight, but when I got there, they hadn't opened up the cabins yet....  so back into town and stopped off at the first hotel - called the First Hotel!!  quite salub but not as expensive as Dannegarden in Trelleborg - but a lot flasher!!  anyhoo my room overlooks the harbour...  and I have the Eurovision final on TV - but don't think I am going to make it to the end...

I promised and have delivered!  The photos!
Kong Christian Pub and B&B

very good use of a small space!  but comfy enough

Maggie's sleeping place and friends

saw this nice statue on the way outa town


Southern wall of the Castle - there were extensive gardens but I chose not to wander

Sweden

I think its called Art

Cannons inside the castle walls??  that can't work!

Stop that fuse!!!

The clock donged once - I waited for more then realised that it was 1pm

this used to be a small river which ran under the kitchen where the cook used
to open a hatch and drop a line to catch some fish for dinner - allegedly

Pretty yellow flowers for Erica

Peaceful Chapel 

Hardanger altar cloth for my sisters

There's a blue bird on my windowsill :)

and blue sky when I came out of the courtyard - Yay!!

Not a bad place to live - on a sunny day!


Made it to Karlsham... Town Hall

4 comments:

  1. ... I am turning even more green with envy. Maybe if you let me know the accom prices you are paying, I might feel more like staying put for a while. Is it less than $100 a night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... allegedly ... LOL ... love the piccies and commentary

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: accomm prices - well I don't do too much forward planning, as never quite sure where I will end up. so with a bit of searching around I reckon most of the B&Bs are around $100-$120 which includes breakfast. so far they have been really clean. last night at a hostel I paid $72 which included brekky and sheets n towel hire - shared bathrooms of course. Trelleborg couldn't find anything by Dannegarden - $235!!!!!!!!! but then $115 to $120 seems standard. First Hotel was flasher than Dannegarden but was only $150 for ensuite and great brekky spread.... so get ya finger onto that mouse and start planning. you will love the old cities as they are really steeped in history - here its the wars between Denmark and Sweden - I haven't been into any museums, but do like to poke my nose into churches as they have handmade textiles on alters etc... so get ontwit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning pics! Much love KK Xoxoox

    ReplyDelete