Tuesday 17 May 2016

Day 11: Cold and wet - as expected on my way to Kalmar

so - now I am an expert at riding in the cold and the wet.  thankfully the wind was only gentle and mostly came from behind...  the temp started off at 9, but then went down to 8 and even 7, before it climbed back up to 9.  for a little while it hit 10 and once it was 11 but just for about 5 mins, before it fell back to 10....  and then back to 9...  but sun is promised tomorrow and 14!!  so warm!!
so right clothing....  full length knicks first, with knee length thick socks, knit pants and waterproof pants + neoprene booties over my shoes..  on the top I had a short-sleeved thermal tshirt, a long-sleeved thermal, a cotton tshirt and my jacket.  on my head I had my neck warmer, ear scarf and a beanie and the hood of my jacket up and a rainproof cover on my helmet!!  at around morning tea time, I passed a swimming area at a lake - No!!  I did not go for a swim, but I did stop and have some nuts and dreamt of hot coffee, used the bush loo, and took the opportunity to go into the change room and put on my thick leg warms (that are useless as they just kept falling down to my knees and are now in the bin!!) and my light jumper on under my jacket...  now I was feeling almost comfortable!  the problem with plastic waterproof pants is one gets sweaty underneath so when you stop moving you feel a bit cold, so keep moving!!
through thick forests of pine and bright green leaved trees - past farmlands of more canola and also potatoes and green peas, along minor highways mostly with little traffic, just an occasional double b hauling logs, or Farmer Brun bouncing along in his massive tractor...
not many photos taken today - too cold to take my gloves off to drive the camera...
the blogger blogging

Sverige's bush loo

a cute shelter for fika

smultron just flowering

Change rooms - shall I go for a swim - NOT!!

Most of my clothes on!!


flowering lilac

down the avenue to Kalmar

2 comments:

  1. Really appreciated the details about your attire for the day. It actually sounds about two layers not enough but I know the thermal underlayers can be quite warm. But please, please, buy a little Swedish nose warmer as your schnoz looks cold and lonely being the only uncovered body part.

    ReplyDelete