Sunday 8 May 2016

Day 2: Copenhagen

so much for all this worry about cold weather - another warm blue sky day in Copenhagen!!

headed off into the city nice and early - zinging along one of the main commuter routes - bike path alongside of the road.  more fear from other cyclists than cars here, but no dramas.

where did I go??  who knows?  here there and everywhere!  I had a couple of places I wanted to check, but basically just followed this road this way, then back that way and bumped into this and that.  Of course, one must see the Little Mermaid, but I found my dream home along the way.  there were castles and palaces and as the day wore on - tourists and tourists and more!!!!  and so many had thought they would hire an electric bike and although having not ridden a bike in ages, they all headed off wobbling around and getting in the blooming way!!!  sigh...  cities and me just don't get along..
but!!  generally I really enjoyed it all.  its not a high rise town and so many old old buildings - still being lived in and used.  I only went into one church, which was next to the tower and I didn't go into any of the other buildings either.  found the Kastellet - which is a "working" naval base and got told off by the cutest little Danish soldier!!  apparently one is not allowed on the grass near the windmill and definitely not with a bike!!!  he was stomping around bossing all of us sticky beaks and there were plenty...  but I still managed to get a photo of the windmill...

and yes I got a bit lost but eventually found my way  "home" again!  so here's a few of the many pics I took:

pot of tulips in the garden where I stayed

one of the city squares - see it later on

The Round Tower - one of the Kings spent most of the country's money building various
buildings throughout the city.  he was a tad lazy tho, so he commissioned this tower with a winding
ramp, so he could ride a horse up to the top and look out over his kingdom.
no horses or bikes allowed today, but it is interesting to walk up the ramp
The view is not so good - think someone must have jumped over the railings
so now the sharp-tipped railings in place :(
One of the views from the top - camera held up high to get past the railings

inside the tower - uneven bricks, but a gentle slope
Inside the rather beautiful church that is attached to the Round Tower
it was organ practice time, so quite interesting to hear the power of the pipes!!



I looked up an old brass lamp - it was truly a beautiful sight!

my dream home

Gefion Springvader fountain

Who is this?

daisies growing in the lawn at the Kastellet

cobblestones - my favourite riding surface - NOT!!
near entry gate of Kastellet - but the cobblestones are everywhere!!

Sinding's Valkyrie statue - bronze

close up! scary stuff!! "she chooses who shall live and who
shall die in battle"  according to Google and Michael :)

Picturesque moat near St Albans Church

beautiful tree in full bloom
The windmill !!
it says - do not walk on the grass - apparently!


Maggie resting beside the moat after being banished from the grounds

Almost black tulips - hint of deep dark purple

To take these photos I had to almost step on semi naked Danes
sunbathing!

these are tulips too!  
Swing dancing in the square that was empty before -
this one especially for Emma and Michael

so this is the street that often portrays Coipenhagen
only on a sunny Sunday afternoon it was crowded with
lots of tourists....  including me I guess!

thought I would have a late lunch at Mormors cafe - but it was already 5pm
and they were closing, so had to have my Chai Latte in a takeaway container!

Vegetarian sandwich was really tasty tho and the Danish Pastry
was pretty damn good too!!

A fancy church somewhere - renovations all around the back and
locked!

More blooming flowers in someone's front garden

Cherry blossom time!!

and I came across several rows of these very old looking apartment blocks
no idea where I was, but found my way back to the bridge anyways
so my city sighting has been done - now to get out into the countryside of Sweden and a couple of islands along the way!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous, lovely, pretty. I've been to Copenhagen twice now, but only saw the train station and the airport ... so very nice to see some of what I missed. Glad the weather is behaving.

    ReplyDelete