Tuesday 31 May 2016

Day 25: Last day on my Cycling trip - to Örebro

I have not got used to the how the weather can totally change from one day to the next.  It was still cloudy when I pulled back the curtains, but by the time I was ready to load Maggie, there was sunshine and blue skies.  OK!!  I can handle this!
my breakfast was as yummy as ever - muesli, yoghurt, bread rolls, cheese and brie, tomato and the addition of freshly picked and lightly sauteed asparagus from their garden, continued the feeling of being somewhere special (all for $100)...  totally the top of my list of places I have stayed at on this journey...  and not only that - an atlas of Sweden was brought out and we found a track to take me away from the highway to meet up with the road I had planned to ride.
As usual, my map reading failed a couple of times, but late in the day I discovered that if I actually pressed the "Start Navigation" button a little compass comes up on the screen to show me which is north and south!!  how many times I had wished for this - I have lost count.  but all will be well on my next trip!!

so where to today?  with the sun shining the countryside was just so pretty...  so green and there were huge banks of lily of the valley all out in flower - I stopped to smell the lilies a few times, but I resisted the urge to pick them...  there were snacks beside still lakes, the reflections almost perfect.  Not so much farming land and gentle up and downs.  At one of the lakes there was a tiny island with a cottage and boat shed on it - ahhh...  to own your own island.  while I photography it a Storlom (Black-throated Diver - in English) popped up out of the water right in front of me...  click click click...  I hope I caught an image of it before it dived down and again...  so smiles all round.

I arranged to meet Anders and Agnete at the railway station in Hallsberg, which is just south of Örebro, so once leaving Åsbro, there was little option - the highway or this little track thru the forest.  well, it looked good and then it turned into the old road that ran high on the banks above the motorway - but that abruptly ended in a cliff - luckily I had Maggie well under control then.  so we slid down the bank..  Left to the motorway or right thru the forest...  lets go right, it shows a track over the railway line.  but maybe there was once a track there, but not any more...  so back to the highway and about 2kms later I was on a bike path leading in Hallsberg.
I have been to Hallsberg a couple of times, its just south of Örebro.  there is a museum for Carl and Karin Larsson - Swedish artists that I love - and it was great to see A&A waiting for me outside the railway station.  I think there might be a photo of me riding in, just in case any of you think I caught the train...  (just getting in first MissW!!)

So taking it easy now...  will work on the photos when I get some time....  I promise!



My bedroom in Kristberg Rusthall

The Hallway

The lounge and breakfast area

and the house - I really loved this place

pretty blue lupins - usually they are purple or pink - sometimes white

a mountain for my Carl - thankfully it wasn't too high!

and a beautiful lake near by


perfect to sit and have fika

Lily of the Valley perfuming the air

green carpet of moss and blueberry bushes under old pine trees

Coffee and weinerbrod!!  Yay! they were open!

lycra lass waiting for the train to pass

fluffy white grass flowers in boggy ground



The Boat Shed

well this means the end of my cycling trip is near....

Whooping swans in green grass, not blue seas

they do look much different than the usual mute swan

lakes glinting in the sunshine - throughout the whole day

how about an island just for yourself

will this forest track take me all the way to Hallsberg - maybe not!

rather flash residence just south of Hallsbery
and here I am - arriving at the Hallsberg railway station
- top cycling fashion clothes too!!

5 comments:

  1. ... now, who would dare to suggest you caught the train ... and made up a blatantly obvious tale of travel woes instead? The audacity of that MissW - I reckon name and shame her.

    LOL muchly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But what a joy it has been following your experiences on this journey. I looked forward to reading every instalment as they were the highlights of my day ... and I will miss them as your cycling journey comes to a close.

    Although, you still have some time left to squeeze in one or two adventures (sans bike) before your return to everyday reality.

    ... and of course, in lieu of having adventures, loading up piccies on your blog is always a good use of your rapidly diminishing travel time ... or bugger everyone else who may want to see them; don't waste time loading them; and enjoy your remaining time in Sweden ... and just show the piccies to me in real life when I am in Brisbane in a couple weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... but it would be good to know where you are ... Sweden or back to reality?

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUDE! You should have warned me that you were going to load so many piccies for this and the many previous posts. I think I have overdosed. Quick! Call the medics. Death by aesthetics is imminent ...

    Seriously, great piccies. So many touched a chord for the sheer beauty of the location; their great composition; and/or your eye for detail and the quirky.

    I won't submit a comment on the other posts you have loaded up piccies for, but I visually devoured each and every one ... now I feel so satisfied that I should light a cigarette (if I smoked) and sigh deeply. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following me along the way - your compliments confirmed my beliefs that I was indeed riding through a beautiful country indeed. I think Sweden is often overlooked as a place to visit - it has everything - stacks of history easy to access, beautiful countryside and a safe place to freely pedal around in... yay!! just had a fabulous time -

    ReplyDelete