Friday 27 May 2016

Day 17: Riding up the East Coast of Gotland - Ekegård to Katthammarsvik

NB:  27-5-16 - am back in Wifi land - am just quickly uploading these - unedited - so bear with!!  will check them again tonight - and maybe even add some captions!!  Maybe!!

A great breakfast – homemade flat bread made with oat porridge and a little wheat flour – was so yummy instead of the all the usual variety of crispbread, white bread, wholegrain and rye…  and homemade raspberry jam and a soft boiled egg from the neighbour’s hens. 
A farewell hug from Therese sent me on my way with good vibes all round.  I guess sometimes travelling alone, one does get a tad lonely – and as I was the only person around, Per and Therese did make me feel welcome and we had a good chat about stuff…
An overcast day didn’t dampen my enthusiasm either – it was cool, but I am getting used to this bitter cold wind!  Sorta….  And hurray!!  The wind – tho gentle was coming always from behind.  I didn’t have far to go to Katthammarsvik, but somehow one tends to wander off the main road and follow those blooming Gotlandledsen cycle signs – which take you onto dirt roads, but basically thru similar country if I had just stayed on the main road.
It swung me out to the coast and from a bird tower just down a side road, I saw a heap of water birds, and heaps of their avocets, which I don’t think I have seen before.  Ducks and swans and seagulls and terns as well as paddling kraka (crows) which I found amusing.
So wandering through farmlands where black sheep are pretty common – or at least white bodies but with black faces.  Fancy horses also – and huge tractors and trucks – photos for Carl!!  And wildflowers aplenty.
I had coffee at Ljudarn but pressed onto Katthammarsvik as that looked like a bigger place…  wrong…  but I eventually found Ellen to open up one room at Borgsvik – an old mansion apparently built for someone’s wife a long time ago.  The room was really lovely (although I think Ellen hadn’t turned on the modem, so no wifi) and cheap – 550k.  was thinking of staying 2 nights it was so nice, but not much to see there….  No breakfast, am sure I will cope somehow….







































1 comment:

  1. Aaaaaahhhhh that's better! I feel like a junkie who just had a fix. Picccccies ...
    Some really beautiful and arty photos - mainlining right into my (travel) system.
    Big thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete