Sunday 22 May 2016

Day 16: to the South of Gotland

Oh dear....  this blogging is getting small and still no pics!!!  what is going wrong??  well, a lack of sleep isn't helping so much, so here's a quickie on today's ride before I hit the sack.
So what has Gotland got to offer a cyclist?  well, much of the same as what I have been riding thru.  had a quick look in Visby this morning and its well worth a proper look when I get back next week.  but it does also look very touristy - and there seems to be lots of bars for young people to hang out at.  but anyways, onya bike.  and first up, not impressed that the bike way is just a separate path along the busy major road.  so off into the forest on a small track I go - and find the Hogklint - which is quite a high looking back to Visby.  but after that my forest trekking was curtailed by high fences and warning signs STOPP - live ammunion first stuff happening...  grrr... must I ride on this major road (bike path gone now!)  but my little Here app shows smaller rides down the centre, so I zink over that and head off thru really pretty typical Swedish rural areas, along with groups of houses, I guess villages, here and there and the odd church.  well, I stopped at one of them today - and had a peek inside.  it looked pretty old, with the drawings on the wall pretty faded.  interesting roofing on all the churches seen today - all much the same style - the timber planking, not shingles - and the church I looked at looked like it had a loft or something, but no sign of it from the inside...
so just tootling along and because I started latish, I arrived at my accom for the night - a hostel of which I am the old person here - so sharing the shower and loo with no-one...  sweet and a good price with brekky chucked in too...
who knows where I will get to tomorrow - I need to do some planning and down loading more photos..  am sure I will get a chance to up load them in the near future...  I do need a short day, so maybe it will be tomorrow!
stay tune and be patient!  or not - pictures will eventually arrive just when you're not expecting them.
weather should i say?  blue skies gentle (tho coming in my face today) breeze but by 4pm totally clouded over again and the bitter cold wind kicks in.  am getting used to that now and just add jacket, next warmer, ear warmed and beanie and ever o nwards!!

























4 comments:

  1. We want piccies! We want piccccieeeeeeeeeeees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah well, at least I've had a chance to catch up on your blog now :) Hope you're enjoying some down-time on Gotland, looking forward to the next installment of your blog when you get back into wifi-range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am having vicarious-traveller withdrawal symptoms ... the only thing getting me through this cold turkey experience is thinking that you must be having fantastic experiences and are fully living the moments being out and about and making the most of great weather. Viva la travel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Some gorgeous cloud activity in some of them.

    ReplyDelete