Saturday 28 May 2016

Day 20: Back to Visby

So after another wonderful breakfast, I loaded up Maggie and we headed off to the ferry.  The plan was to ride to Lärbro then turn right and ride out to Kappelshamn and ride down the coast to Visby. 
But the weather made me change my mind.  It’s was already blustery and chilly, although miraculously the wind was coming from behind again!!!  Amazing!  But not long after I headed off on R148 – which is the main route out of the north – the clouds came in and temperature dropped to 14C. 
A quick stop saw me adding another layer of clothes top and bottom, big woolly socks and a beanie.  But that wasn’t cutting it, so a bit further down the road, I dug out my jacket and my big new gloves and soon I was on my way again.  But – do I zink out to Kappelshamn – it adds 20km to the ride and if the weather turns wet, I will be so cranky.  So meh!  to Kappelshamn, I don’t think there was anything there I hadn’t already seen before – and I stuck to the main road.
There was no shoulder on the main road and the traffic was busy every 30 mins – ie a load off the ferry…  so there were times when a truck or bus was coming from behind and traffic approaching, I just pulled off the road and let them have to themselves.  So not a great ride – nor a very interesting visual one either. 

About half way along the route, the cold weather lifted and then I had to stop and take off some of the layers… hot feet are not that comfortable!  And the jacket back in the pannier and eventually I cruised into Visby – missing any sign of the camping ground I was hoping to stay at…  so into the old centre – to the Info bureau and the kind girl found a bed for me in a hostel – right next to a flash hotel – where breakfast costs $30!!  Hmmm….  I don’t think so….  But no wifi!!  Again!!  I can’t really believe it!  Apparently there’s a computer we can use to check our email, but I can find no sign of it and the hotel reception closed at 5pm, so….  Am actually a little amazed at the lack of wifi around…  

first meal I have properly cooked - haloummmmmmi !!

Elsie's Cafe, Faros - makes the best breakfast in the whole wide world!!!

One last windmill.....

check the brakes

the blue sky went for most of the day 

but by the time I got to Bro, it was shining again on this old church

I wonder why there is a tree stump set into the wall of this church


Church Gate -  eventually worked out how to open the catch...

back to Visby or is it Wisby

2 comments:

  1. LOL, the road sign made me snort with laughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, I love them - not sure if its just Scandinavian or not, but have seen them at all the ferry crossings or boat launching places, whatever they're called... had to get a pic of it!

    ReplyDelete