Wednesday 2 May 2018

Day 7 - up the coast to Tsuruga

Pedalling along the west coast reminded me of my last trip, cycling up the west coast of Shikoku...  dramatic seascapes - slightly spoilt by blue haze - but impressive none the less...  No big hills, but a slight disappointment of not being about to dodge the tunnels.  although you can see the old roads on Google maps, they don't show the fence or locked gates that bar an adventurer's way.  Luckily I had checked Google maps for the longer tunnel and it seems that Google streetview managed to get a little bit along the road before they came to the blocked old tunnel...  I did go for a little ride to get away from the traffic and have lunch in peace, but otherwise just stuck on R162, dodging up on footpaths when clear and big enough.  several short tunnels and one just over 1km long - it appears that if you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, its only about 1km away :)  only one without a footpath, but it was only 200m long and not much traffic.  a bit of a worry tho, when there's water dribbling down the side of a tunnel...

stopped off at a little roadside shop to see what the little old lady was selling...  pickled plums - she gave me one to try - and laughed at my face - yep a little bit sour for me...  she then poured me a drink - cordial - well, that was nice so I bought a bottle of that...  not sure what it is - and it does seem to be a bit bubbly...  cost nearly $10 for 500ml....   so I might just limit my drinks just in case the bubbles go to my head...

so as predicted, just after midday umbrellas were brought out - or in my case, rain jacket...  it was only gentle rain tho there were a few gusts of wind before the rain that nearly wobbled me into a drain!

so I turned up in Tsuruga a bit bedraggled looking and grubby, but as usual the staff at the hotel didn't blink an eye and allowed me to sign in and zap my credit card.  Breakfast included.  no worries!

hopefully I will get some photos uploaded tonight!  stay tuned!!


















then it started to rain - so I put the camera away!


No comments:

Post a Comment