Saturday 26 May 2018

Day 28 - Homeward bound


all good holidays come to an end and so this trip to Japan finishes today.  my flight wasn't until 9pm, so I thought I would have a look around in the streets of Izumi-sano...  but alas and alack!  its raining - just that gentle rain - but when you don't hafta - you don't!!!  so I borrowed an umbrella and went for a little walk instead.  I was looking for one of those alley ways filled with little shops, but reception didn't think there were any locally and advised me to catch the rain out to Rinku...  the brochure convinced me that I did NOT want to go there - I hate big shopping malls!  but I thought a walk towards the train station might be an idea - and sure enough, little shops along the street!  here's an old fashioned toy shop - with an old man fussing around behind the counter.  In the front window I saw the perfect doll for Erica - just what I have been looking for!  and a crane truck (matchbox size!) for Carl.  across the street was a shop selling beautiful kimonos for me to look at - and to buy a small obi - and another shop with some Japanese printed cloth and yet another one with a wide range of fans - some really expensive but so beautiful, but at this stage of the holiday - budget says No!  so just a small price one...  still pretty nice!

by then I needed my 2nd coffee for the day and so entered into a British 1960's little cafe - where the music playing was Peter, Paul & Mary (Blowin in the Wind) Joni Mitchell and Simon & Garfunkel.  apparently her father (who was quietly sitting out the back) liked that sort of music - yep, probs same age as me :)

I checked out the shops at the railway station, found a Japanese Bird book!  then headed back to hotel...  Now came the time to bag up Hennie after thanking her profusely for being such a great companion on such a great trip.

no need to rush, so I took extra care, using up all the bubble wrap I had bought and sealing bag with my strong tape.  then reception staff called for a taxi and off to the airport I went.  by then I still had 6 hours to wait, so parked Hennie and bag at the Luggage station and went for a cruise around.  I ended up buying a proper carry-on suitcase instead of my front pannier and am so glad I did.

At check-in they demanded that I open up Hennie's bag and let the air out of the tyres - I know some believe you should - but I don't think it matters and certainly didn't on the way over - but they insisted so unseal bag, let the air out - can't find my tape so they offer me some piss-weak tape...  not happy!  then a quick measure informs them that Hennie is over the limit length wise!  what?  I paid for oversize luggage - no...  that's just overweight....  2000Y (about $16)....  grrr.... eventually have my boarding pass and another coupla hours spent waiting for lift off...  but was on time and expected to be early into Cairns!

a crowded plane load of coughing and hacking plus one kid opposite vomiting up all his coke and food - so not the best of flights - but any flight home from a holiday is fraught I find!

Cairns welcomed us with a beautiful sunrise - the purple fleecy clouds turning a beautiful pink/orange colour.  Oh - and that's a Brown Honeyeater - at last, I bird I can identify again :)

Hennie's bag was almost undone and pretty shook up looking, so I managed to straighten her up a little and borrow more of their skinny tape and once more attempt to seal her securely!  Note to Self!  Make sure you know where you put the tape next time!!  Keep it close!!!

eventually I arrived back in Brisbane - absolutely pooped as usual and I quickly grabbed my bag and loaded Hennie onto a trolley and headed for taxi...  dismayed to see bag totally opened - tape missing but too tired to do anything about it....  hindsight - note to self!  always check Hennie and her bag before leaving airport...  cos sure enough after getting home, I went to check and missing from Hennie's bag is one of the rear panniers...  which also contained one of the front panniers.... wah wah wah!!!  phone baggage claims, told to email them, which I also did.  but brain totally dead and in need of a little arvo nap before catching up with grandkids and daughter.

so ends my 2018 trip to Japan - Jetstar are still looking for my bags - have promised to send me a letter detailing delayed flight to Japan and so what more can I do....  add some photos I guess!


pancakes and coffee - and Blowin in the Wind!


Cairns getting ready for a new day

Bling!
btw this photo has not been photoshopped or lightroomed at all...  in real life it was actually much brighter!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home :))
    Hope the missing bags turn up ok.
    Let's catch up soon x

    ReplyDelete