Sunday 20 May 2018

Day 22 - Off to a Shrine and time off with Warmshowers hosts

I am often heard to say that its a waste of money staying in a posh hotel....  but there are always exceptions.  :)


A beautiful young women in kimono helped me with my bags on a trolley right out to Hennie and hovered around to make sure that I was well and truly on my way…  she bowed and smiled and waved me goodbye…  I eventually got onto the right road and puffed my way up to the Shinto Shrine….  Slight delay when got a puncture on rear tube - out in the blazing sun!  But eventually got it changed and on our way again.  Didn't realise that the shrine would be such a tourist place - ---  anyways, after the guard advised me to park Hennie by the gate and gave me a map, I joined the throngs of Japanese and a good smattering of western people, we dutifully followed the arrows up along the path that eventually took us up to a temple, where people were dutifully offering their prayers.   I do struggle a bit with these totally commercial set ups…  yes beautiful gardens and beautiful buildings (but for some reason it all feels a little contrived….  Sorry!!)

Anyways, also joined the throng along the shopping strip and there were so many interesting shops, but not enough time to really browse, but I did find some gifts including a wind bell for myself… 

Then off to find my Warmshowers host…  managed to get onto the right track, but couldn't find the temple and therefore ended up in Taki with not a clue where to go next…  so I bravely asked a lady working in her garden to give Setsuko a call and they came and rescued me in a little truck and took me back to their village which I had passed about 2km and a hill back!! 

I was shown to the guest suite and wow!  Its really authentic Japanese…  I had a most welcome shower and a quick snack and early to bed.  My first impressions of both Setsuko and her family was a friendly warmth..  I sleep so well on futon…  I woke up and it was already 6am! 

another view of a luxury Japanese style room

place to shower and a place to soak

joining the throng to visit the Shinto Shrine - Jingu

why?

new version of wrapped trees

Jingu Shrine - a new one is built every 20 years in a different location nearby


bit of bling


Taki, Mie prefecture

No comments:

Post a Comment