Tuesday 22 May 2018

Day 27 - Last day cycling - to Izumi-sano

it was interesting to attend the morning ceremony in the Temple.  the old monk started the proceedings - the 2nd guy looked like he'd forgotten something, but was soon back and with a boing on the huge bowl they began the mesmerising chanting...  A younger monk came rushing in - obviously running late and still getting his costume sorted, but soon joined in.  the audience were given low chairs to sit on, while others chose to sit on the floor. it was a little more casual than I thought it might be - the bonus was being given access into this area and to check out the paintings and wall directions...  but no photos allowed.  Breakfast followed - a tiny low table supported a tray of food, including miso, rice of course, a cup of green tea, a bowl of fried tofu, with tiny bowls of mashed vegies, seaweed, and a plate with 2 slices of pickle turnip and a pickled plum...   all quite tasty but a bit meagre - so I stopped on my way out of town for a 7/11 100Y coffee and a danish!
time to get on the road - it should be all downhill according to my plan...  so soon I was dashing down the hill, leaving all that traffic behind! 10 km later, I turned left and was soon back on the flat!!  even started to go uphill!!!  how come?  it should be all downhill.  I was feeling a bit cranky but after 2 km, the road dipped down again and I scooted down another 10 km to the river. 
So now it should be a boring traffic riddled ride all the way to Izumi-sano apparently...  Wrong!!
once I got thru the suburbs I was heading uphill again...  no way my legs said!  but then the shoulder of the road shrank and with less that 40 cm between the white line and the drain and trucks flashing past, it was too dangerous to ride and so once again, Hennie and I were walking along...  and ever upwards for 4km!!  I think Japan has decided that instead of building tunnels to cut thru hills, they now build "bridges" that go abruptly upwards to get to the top quicker!  Gasp!  but eventually we came across a tunnel - no footpath, so light up all my lights and start peddalling madly!  The downhill again didn't last very long, but eventually this up and down and dicing with death under truck wheels, came to an end and I cruised into the foyer if the First Airport Hotel where my bed for the night awaits me... 
Phew that's it then - another holiday in Japan draws to an end.  I did the tally of my distances and came to the total of 1297 km!!!  I remember that I didn't record my cycling around in Kyoto, so am sure I got over the 1300km - and my legs totally agree!  am tired and although I should be repacking am going to hit the sack and do it in the morning....  thanks for coming along with me on yet another fun time - I do love this country, but I am ready to go home!  Sayonara!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment