Saturday 12 May 2018

Day 16 Checking out Matsumoto

the great weather continues, tho the air has a crispness about it - but maybe just looking at those snow-capped mountains convinces one that it must be cold.

I didn't rush, but eventually Hennie and me set of in search of the Folk craft museum... found a very nice park, Agatanomori and was excited to see a woodpecker!!!  after that,  I ended up at the contemporary gallery and was interested to see the Polka Dot lady (Yayoi Kusama) actually comes from Matsumoto - but as we had already been polka-dotted in Brisbane, I just asked for directions to the Craft museum...  ohhh....  its very hard to find - but they gave me a map and away I went.  and it did take a bit of dicking around and asking various people, but indeed I did find it and spent a good hour or more, browsing around.  there wasn't so much textiles, but the pottery was pretty astounding...

did a tad of shopping around then zinked back to the backpackers to unload that lot before heading off in the other direction looking for the Ukiyo-e art gallery - it houses the largest collection of old Japanese Prints, with a small selection on display and after reading the Printmakers Daughter again, it was on my special list.  I eventually found what I thought was the gallery, but turned out to be the museum of Japanese architecture - the gallery was next door.

The disaster struck!  I went to unlock the bike cable and the key wouldn't turn!  its been a bit hard lately and I have been meaning to get some WD40 into it...  but too late..  didn't matter how often I wriggled the key, it wouldn't budge!!!  yoiks!!  am nearly 4km outa town.  so dragged out my phrasebook and learnt the word help - and went back to the museum...  receptionist came out to see what I was trying to say...  and decided to call the manager...  he came along with a tin of WD40 equivalent and gave a good spray, wriggled the key a bit - but still nothing....  I asked him if he had something to cut it with - and off he went and came back with a flimsy hacksaw blade, but persistence is a wonderful and after 15mins or so - the cable was cut!!  Arigato gozaimas many times over!!

I had just 30mins to rush thru the gallery of prints - but it was all worth while...  the prints on display included Hokasai's very famous Wave and there were names that were in the Printmakers Daughters and I felt I knew a little behind the scenes...  really pleased I made it eventually to that gallery.

so back to backpackers - dinner from Family Mart tonight - salad with rice and seaweed!  I know!!  I am starting to get a taste for this food...  tho I would just love a big bowl of oat porridge for brekky!!

I like the feel of Matsumoto, so am glad I put it on my list of things to do...

as promised!


















No comments:

Post a Comment