Tuesday 1 May 2018

Day 6 - already?? off to Obama

Another easy day planned - will it work out that way?  the weather is so much warmer than I had planned (again!!)  and blue skies all day - tho the weather chart seems to suggest there could be rain ahead - umbrellas usually mean that I think :)

So westwards to the West Coast...  over a mountain range - its only 250m surely that won't be hard!  and guess what!!  it wasn't!!!  a gentle climb, bit of a down, then another bit of a gentle climb, thru a couple of tunnels and what??  going down hill already?  just the way I like it!

the first bit of excitement as I was pedalling out of town up over a high bridge,  I saw something move down on the river plain - its not dogs - OMG its monkeys!!  really wild monkeys - I was feeling thankful that they were so far down!!  too far away for me to get a decent photo - but as I pedalled off, I spotted a young one half way up a light pole!  yeah, of course, they can climb!!!  :)  no more seen for the rest of the day.

the hillsides are covered with forest consisting of tall pine trees, bamboo waving and a whole range of other greens bright and dark...  the mountain streams are rushing along looking beautiful of course.  then there's wild wisteria - some cascading down from high up in the trees..  its not a strong colour, more mauve then purple...  beautiful.

of course, the traffic is always there...  I was riding on Route 303, which was pretty busy and quite narrow - with a few too many trucks, but the speed limit is only 50 kph and most aren't going so fast.  lots of close passes, but I can handle it at that speed.  so no dramas!

the hills were also echoing with explosions - later on I passed a big gravel company, so I am guessing a hillside is being quarried...  my ears were really ringing at one stage!

So a touch of sunburn means I must be on holiday - and the gentle 47 km today meant I rolled into Obama at about 2pm...  found the train station and a comfy, but prob 2-star hotel - but its got wifi, so no worries!

Life on a bike is good!! and I didn't get lost once!!  miracle!!

Monkeys!

beautiful iris




tunnel time

maybe will wait till this truck goes past!

Obama










2 comments:

  1. Monkeys!! But that little hut is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that little hut is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete