Friday 3 November 2017

Pretending to be pretentious - with the rest of Coles Bay

I have this thing about touristy places - I think someone with some money decides to make some more and then works on making something special...

having said that, yes, the Hazards are spectacular and so are the beaches - but the way the businesses swan around there, for instance the accommodation prices are outrageous!  but I eventually found a room at the YHA for $80...  a bare but cosy bunk room that I didn't have to share!  the kitchen was really clean and lounge was cosy and the shower was piping hot!  I even managed to get the TV working even tho there was no remote!!  even tho it was bluddy cold, the doona was sooo toasty and warm, so I really enjoyed my stay there...

the ride to the Bay was another fairly easy day - not so hilly except for Cherry Tree Hill.  62km.  I had a very friendly and tasty Devonshire Tea at the Pondering Frog - he gave me lots of information about Coles Bay and also Bicheno.

Still the wind comes from behind - I love it - but know for sure - surely!!  that things will change...

the road into Coles Bay is really thickly forested after one gets past the Wineglass Bay Winery that is for sale - the rows of vines are all dead and I saw a turkey with 3 or 4 chicks poking around the sticks...  in the scrub, the little birds tweeting - there are so many Superb Blue Wrens - so cute twitching around - as well as the Grey Fantails - then the raucous Yellow Wattlebirds adding to the mix.  There are still plenty I cannot identify...  and then I saw a couple of echidnas - too close to the road, but like most, they took no notice of me!

Once I unloaded Hennie at the YHA, I thought I would go for a ride around the bay, but the weather had turned - and the wind had picked and the rain was a tweak about freezing - I rode about 50m but turned around and skedaddled back to the cosy room!
but I did venture down to the Tavern and found Mushroom Filo parcels and a red wine - plus a really yummy Pear & Rhubard crumble to finish up...  much nicer than baked beans and toast!!



from the top of Cherry Tree Hill

old shed in dry paddock, looked more like Sth Aust than Tasmania


Great place to stop for devonshire tea - scones and tea yummy

don't think much wine is going to come out of here

another echidna that just doesn't want to know

The Hazards


No comments:

Post a Comment