Friday 10 November 2017

Last Post from Tasmania

Another lovely short day - with only a couple of bumps to negotiate before sailing down into Devonport.

The blue sky has been covered by grey clouds, but they look so high and surely they won't rain on my last day - and they didn't.
After saying goodbye to my kind host at the B&B, I sailed down through town, checking on the topiary to make sure none has absconded during the night, but they were all present and correct!

I stopped in at a nature reserve that protects a variety of native orchids, but didn't see any of the purple ones, tho there were 2 kinds of white ones merrily flowering away.  I didn't walk too far into the reserve, so I am sure they were just around the next corner.

Soon I was rolling into Latrobe - felt quite at home with the Lucas Hotel - but it wasn't beer o'clock, but coffee was definitely required, so I rode along the main street until I came to the Crowded Lounge - recommended by host.  and a nice cuppa and almond croissant too...  am going to have to get back to healthy eating when I get home again....  sigh!!!

I then found the River Road and headed towards Devonport along the Mersey River - that's such a nice ride all the way into Devonport - the river on one side and forest on the other until arriving into town.  I dropped my panniers off at the Warmshowers' place then rode off to the beach.  there's a great walking path up around the headland and then paths going in all directions, so I tried most of them until it got to ice-cream o'clock...  the town centre has a mall and all the old buildings are being used for the usual shops one sees wherever....  I did zink into Harris Scarf's to buy a clean t-shirt for tomorrows ferry ride, but otherwise didn't need to do any shopping...

eventually it was time to go back to my hosts and I rode along a really wonderful path around  the headland, puffed up a short sharp hill and zoomed down to my bed for tonight.

so my touring trip in Tasmania is almost over - until I get Hennie and me onto the ferry...  Photos will be uploaded soon, but tonight I am tired and am off to sleep!
One of the many dead gum trees

Hennie resting while I go in search of orchids


A bit too early for a cider...  but tempting!

Mersey River



checking out the path around the Bluff



kids vying for Darwin Awards


Hobbit country



Flinders St east again!


definitely hobbits live here!

No comments:

Post a Comment