Tuesday 7 November 2017

Launceston

A rest day!  so started a little slowly, having a great breakfast before teaming up with my generous host for a brisk walk up the Gorge - so glad I wasn't riding up to the path!  It was steep!  At the first lookout one gets a glimpse at the mighty scale of this gorge - it looks wild and wonderful...  would have been good to have had my camera, but doh!!  that's back at the digs...  but amazing what these phone cameras can do... just please don't drop it!
once we got to the bottom of the rather steep and somewhat gravelly path, I was on my own to wander around at my own pace.  Civilisation had reached this area with lawns and rock walls and well maintained pathways, rocky steps and looking all somewhat controlled.
My 1966 memory of this gorge is sooo misty, but I vaguely remember the terror of crossing the suspension bridge...  maybe this time there wasn't a mob of silly schoolkids trying to scare others by bouncing on the bridge, because it felt really safe and easy to cross...  The pavilion on the other side is surrounded by rhododendrons all in full flower, pinks, magenta, purple and white!  Beautiful!!  weird to have peacocks strutting around adding a feeling of Indian tea plantations...  Devonshire Coffee and scones went down a treat, tho a tad disappointed that it was served on single use plates and in disposable coffee cup...  surely they could manage a small dishwasher in the cafe???
so back to town walking along the other side of the Gorge - it truly is a magnificent place, awe-inspiring really.
I swung by my room and grabbed my camera and went down town.  Its great to see all the old buildings being used as shops and offices.  no high rise - Myer being the highest building in town, excluding the spires on the several churches around.  One street reminded me of Flinders St East, but wasn't quite as sleazy...  so I spent the afternoon just walking up and around and back again the rather beautiful little town.
my hosts gave me some very useful advice on the next leg of my journey back to Devonport, so I have decided to make 2 more stops - so short days only and Not Too Hilly - I believe!  and only spend an afternoon to look around Devonport before ending this adventure on Sat morning when I catch the Spirit of Tasmania, back to the mainland...
Suspension Bridge - or chair lift option - thanks I'll take the bridge


Rhododendrons overpoweringly beautiful




at a theme park.... bit weird

a beautiful street with beautiful cottages


Flinders St East surely -  but not as sleazy!





No comments:

Post a Comment