Monday 6 November 2017

Just made it to Launceston, with a little help!

The weather has been so kind to me…  sure a couple of wet days and always cold to start off, but when I checked on Hennie in the morning her temp was 1…  and I had been so comfy inside with the heater on at 20… 
stopped for a coffee in Avoca - to thank the owner for the tip about St Pauls Cabins. I shared the table 2 motorbike riders - father and son - who were doing a quick circuit of the island trying to keep away from main roads too - so I tipped them off about the Old Coach Road, which they agreed would be an interesting ride… 
The coffee shop guy confirmed that the detour onto the Nile road would be fine, but there was about 20km of highway first - and it was so busy and so many just scraping closely by - but having said that, there were also a lot that gave me lots of room - but most don't worry about the "if safe to do so"  bit of the rule…  luckily no accidents today!
I rode into Conara planning to buy some water, but there are no shops there - but a nice little park made  a good lunch stop.  A caravan turned up so I strolled over and asked if he could spare a bottle of water and he willingly topped it up.  But a rest stop without a loo???  Ah well, back on the bike again.
In less than 2km I turned off onto Glen Esk Rd and instantly peace and quiet.  A nice sealed road led down past a flowering crop of canola!!  Flashback time!  So this is a farming area - large farms - scary looking signs threatening death and destruction if one were to venture onto their property - I must google Vaucluse and see what they're growing - is this the legal heroin company? 
My dislike for farmlands was further added to today.  Because yes, head wind (I know its mine turn now but!!) and cleared lands means unimpeded winds - not the worst wind I have had to ride into, but nevertheless, tiring.  Huge irrigation sprinklers danced across the paddocks, while in others there were sheep and cattle grazing.  The sheep tend to freak out when I ride past, but a whole herd of soon-to-be-hamburgers came galloping up to talk with me…  not sure what brand of cattle but they had such cute floppy hairdos…  they decided to gallop along with me until they came to a fence… 
So no big hills today, but just up and down, up and down….  There was a section of gravel, but easy to ride and only about 8km - and then after crossing the Nile River I got onto a straight road that went on and on and on…  and head wind and getting near the 80km and still it went on - going up and over a couple of bumps but every onwards in a straight line.  Nearly fell off when I came to the gentle corner!
By then I was getting pooped and decided that I would make Evandale my stop for the night.  I was about to book a room, when I got a phone call and the offer of a lift into Launceston, so I decided to go with that - I just knew that last 20k would take me more than 2 hrs and already it was 6pm… 
But Evandale is a wonderful little town - historic buildings everywhere being used and looked after - but so very English.  So I rode around a bit, took some photos and went back to the main road to wait. 

So 85km battle ended in a 20 min drive into Launceston - more hills!!  But a wonderful host and life begins to feel a lot better after a shower, a glass of red and good food…  good night!
St Pauls Cabin - very cosy and warm

Hennie welcomes the morning sun after 1C night!!

Goodbye cosy Cabin

Lodge's paddock ??

Ben Lomond I believe

Canola again!!


Mop-haired hamburgers!  too cute to eat!

Love an avenue of trees when there's a head wind



Made it to Evandale after a long straight road into headwind....  pooped!




No comments:

Post a Comment