Thursday 2 November 2017

Made it to the East Coast

after a scary start to the day with a black spider descending onto my bed while I was reading my emails, the rest of the day turned out quite calm!!
the compulsory stop at Australia's oldest bridge (built by convicts) didn't jog any memories from my previous visit in 1966!!
The weather has been sooo kind to me...  another blue sky day tho some clouds puffed up later in the day - of course the temps are quite low - starting down at 11 but getting up to 22.  good cycling weather.
I did a bit of a short cut at the start of the day up thru some pretty rich looking farmlands - a vineyard or two, stud Angus and horsie stuff - all in the interest of dodging the highway.  I missed another one so it meant the rest of the day sharing the road with a whole lot of other vehicles - every shape and size...  but only a couple gave me a bit of an ooh ahh!!
of course there were hills - 2 big ones....  first one, Black Charlies Opening (296m), was a grind but apart from a couple of stops to catch my breath, I made it to the top, pedalling all the way.  but the Bust-me-Gall Hill busted me totally...  336m and steep - I could see it up ahead and just knew I couldn't do it...  defeated before I got started....  so it was mostly a walk to the top...  but then I had a nice lunch stop at the top, ready for the great downhills...
there was a really lovely section alongside the Prosser River - but really narrow and no ledge, no place to stop for some photos or much space for cars and me...  so pretty stressful for a bit - but then arriving into Orford - a very pretty little sea side town - and the East Coast!!
a bit of food shopping at the local IGA and back on the road again for the last 7km to Triabunna.
I thought I had booked a cabin, but in fact I had booked a caravan... I love caravans!!
I had to zink around to get my 1000km for October - I found a great birdwatching spot - but was glad to get back into my cosy caravan.  Tomorrow is Maria Island then back here for the night - I have decided not to camp, due to the chill at night!!!  so am looking really forward to searching out the supposedly many wombats on Maria Island!



No comments:

Post a Comment