Tuesday 6 October 2015

4 & 5 October 2015 Flight to Kansai and a day in Wakayama (almost)



I was out on the highway at 2:45am for the Gold Coast airport.  Yep! no traffic so I was down there in an hour.But then had to wait till nearly 5 until the guy turned up, eventually got to the airport and soon on our way, in a grumbly old plane to Cairns.
Once there, I sussed out where the international airport, bought a coffee and was soon winging my way to Japan.  I had the 3 seats to myself so was able to put back pack under the other seat so plenty of room so a really comfy and quiet flight - with hardly any bumps along the way.  
Arrival not so smooth as we were in line at Customs for nearly 2 hours, but eventually passport stamped and on my way to the train.  With a bit help from friendly staff, I bought a ticket and got on the right train and eventually arrived at the Saikai Guest house at about 8:30pm...  Taxi driver at railway stn wasn't keen to take me and the bike box, but his fellow drivers all discussed how to and eventually back seats were folded down and Maggie was shoved in and $9 later we were unloaded at the guest house and taxi sped off.  
Maggie still in the box

Outside the Saika Guest House

That flight of stairs up to 1st level

6 bunk bed dorm looks like this - I must go on a diet!

hmm...  very steep steps up to level 3 (2floors), no muscle but my own so slowly bumped my way to the first floor.  I found the guy in charge on the next floor was shown my bed in the dorm...  I thought it was a 6 bed dorm...  well, it was - 6 bunk beds ie 12 women in a tiny room so crammed in...  well, it was really friendly and it was clean, but with paper walls - yes!! - between ours and the men's room meant that the snoring all night sorta made it hard to sleep...

Monday Morning! - 5 October
I woke at six feeling fine and as peeps were rustling, I got up as well.  I wondered how long it would take to get Maggie back together again but it wasn't long before Maggie was at her best - no dramas even though there was a rather large hole in the box - again!!  and sans helmet we were on our way to the castle.  I'd had a black coffee for breakfast, so was feeling a bit peckish, but there were no shops open at 9am, so onto the Castle.  Ah ha!!  right by the Castle was a PO so that's where the ATMs are for foreigners so raided the bank (Shikoku doesn't do credit card too well - they like cold cash).
Next, cross the road over to the Castle.  The Tea Gardens were closed for a private event, (tummy rumble) but the garden was really beautiful.  not quite autumn colours tho - maybe a week later the maples would have all the colourful leaves, now they are just turning yellowish... Amazing sized carp were swimming in the moat, gasping for air or so it looked like.  




beautiful covered bridge

no shoes allowed so rather nervous slippery walk to bottom

The Castle was beautiful, but lacks a lot of charm.  It is a rebuilt cement one, with a museum of samuri costumes and amour - some interesting cloth, but generally not a patch on the real castle at Kochi (seen last time).  I also plan to visit the Matsuyama Castle later - it sounds a bit more like the 'real' thing.  
Wakayama Castle




from the top looking towards Shikoku

beautiful lamps shade modeled on - see below 

Temari ball - intricate wrapping

so went back thru the covered shopping alley and found a Master of Shibori (for 50 years), hard at work making beautiful shibori cloth.  A kimono on show took him 2 years and 2 months to make.  Shibori is Japanese for tie-dye - only they take it to a whole new level - it was exquisite work, but sooo expensive - and rightly so! I did buy a set of coasters, but will be giving them away one at a time :)  he allowed me to take his photo and demonstrated how to unwrap the cloth after its been dyed.  well, I sorta knew that, but to see his tiny wraps being popped of and the clear and ever-so neat rings of resist was pretty spekky!!  so already I have had a textile hit!!  Sweet!
Master of Shibori

Detail of Shibori on the kimono - beautiful

yanking the cloth to release the tight wrappings - after the cloth has been dyed

back at the guest house, broke the sad news to the guy - he graciously paid me back for one night minus the booking fee, tho I offered to let it go.  $30 is not that much to worry about... but he insisted... 



Lunch - yeah not too bad with the addition of pickled ginger - not salmon!!

Maggie, loaded up and ready for another adventure
 Panniers were stuffed and soon I was heading off in the general direction (as I thought) towards the ferry.  yep, my suspicions confirmed heading off again in the wrong direction (not far!!) - but a coupla guys got me pointed in the right direction and eventually I arrived at the ferry terminal, bought a $27 ticket and slowly chugged away to Shikoku.  Am prepared to pay a bit extra for a proper room tonight, so I can get my panniers properly packed and be off to Mima or Miyoshi tomorrow :)  Yay!
Out the window of the ferry I looked like Magnetic Island in the distance - with Bay Rock off the point.  its getting dark and very hazy, so not worth a photo (I think)...  Its been overcast most of the day - which translates as white glary skies and over exposed photos.  struggled all day, but getting there...  
First on the ferry means last off, so waited for all cars and trucks to lumber off then me and a French couple hopped on our bikes and road off into the night.  (they've been travelling all over and have vague plans and camping is one of them so I probably won't see them around).  
so I headed for the railway station as I remember there being hotels there and as I approached I say the glittering lights of the Toyoko Inn where I stayed in 2011 and zinked in there and ended up is a nice clean western room with some space!!!  so good night!!

3 comments:

  1. Good to know you've arrived safely and you are on your way Chris. Take care and enjoy ! Deb H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the shibori is amazing. So intricate! Nice start to the trip : ))
    Looking forward to the next blog, have fun! x
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and you are off! Love the piccie of the castle with the clouds repeating the roof lines - even though the sky was grey.

    ReplyDelete