Tuesday 20 October 2015

16 October - exploring Uwajima

the places I wanted to see in town were spread out, so Maggie was called into service - but no panniers today.

First - with a bit of wobbling around, we found the Warei Shrine and got past the gate keepers in one piece.










just down the road is the Taga Fertility Shrine - which was a bit different than the usual, it being quite small and hidden away - didn't go into the museum







Couldn't resist taking this photo, tho I didn't go into the bar - its not open at midday of course!!



 then I left Maggie at the bottom of the stairs and climbed up to the Castle.  It was quite a small one, but one of the old original timber framed ones with beautiful shiny floors - no polish, just lots of socks











pen and ink drawings for you, Matias - large almost life size!


then down the road a bit more - after dropping into the Regent Hotel cafe for lunch (mind you I didn't realise it was that until after I came out, I just saw the coffee sign and went in!) it was good too




all day, I could hear in the distance the beating of drums, a chanting and whistle blowing - something was happening in town, but am not sure what.


here's the Junior section - it was just one little group,  but I think there were separate ones around 

 the pipe band
 and the drums

then chilled out at the Tenshaen Gardens, complete with some real Japanese green tea (yeah, not my favourite) but helped down with a white chocolate













OK - now things are getting a bit serious.  this was the mens section - they are carrying a heavy wooden carriage and in the top are four small boys - say about 10 maybe, sitting around a large drum that they are continually beating - without missing a beat and they have probably been doing this since lunch time....
I wonder (and still do) what it is all about, but those I asked couldn't speak English! 



later in the evening I went over to Lawsons (corner shop) to buy some good food and just down the road was all this noise - I rushed back to my room, grabbed the camera (dang probably wrong lens but no time for that!) and back down the street to the major intersection.

these guys have been marching and chanting all day - including the young drummers - and now it was time for a face off
there were three teams left when I arrived and they seemed to sway around and then the young carriers would start to bounce the carriage, the hold it up high, chanting, tweeting and drumming madly.
then one slunk off - I do not know who decided and the same was repeated again.'
Eventually there was one in the middle and the finale was....


the young carriers suddenly dropped down and let go of the poles and the whole carriage was supported on the shoulders of 4 burly older men
this was no mean feat - they were gasping and eyes popping and suddenly one of the men stumbled and down the carriage went - it was the first time the drums stopped beating, but they soon started up again - obviously the little boys were well strapped in...

with the aid of all the young men again, the carriage was righted amidst much cheering and clapping etc from the crowd and they marched off down the street - and traffic began to flow again.
have seen on tv similar, but much more elaborate processions probably from Tokyo but I was really pleased to have witnessed this one - the people seemed really proud of their guys and rightly so!

on my way back to the hotel, I photographed these beautiful sake bottles, just on a table outside a small bar - truly, theft is just not part of this culture!!  


and to a well-earned (I thought) beer

Yep I quite liked Uwajima - it was much bigger city than I thought, but for once
I didn't get toooooo lost!!!

2 comments:

  1. What great piccies! Sounds like you really got the most out of your day off, and yes, you deserved the beer. I have to say that your blog about this trip has really inspired me to go back to Japan and travel beyond Tokyo. I really thought that there wouldn't be many traditional sights and sites left in modern Japan. Guess it is like England where there are still heaps and heaps of traditional villages etc once you get away from the cities. Nothing like travel, eh? Keep blogging and taking those wonderful piccies (loved the red umbrellas, by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, those ink drawings are great, but the still water shots are really beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete