Sunday 18 October 2015

14 October - to Sukomo

after yesterday's debacle, I had to retrace my ride for the first 25km so I was a bit faster than usual as I didn't have to stop and photo things - already done that!!
I decided to go straight on to Sukomo instead of doing a dog leg out to a little point, but I have a nagging feeling I missed out on some wonderful scenery, but the inn there had to be pre-booked and the peeps at the Minshurin weren't that friendly, so I decided it was all too hard to ask them to ring ahead for me...  so onto Sukomo....

it was a relatively easy ride because I wasn't heading up up up into the hills, but there were still plenty of sharp ridges to negotiate.  The sea here is so clear, but there is never anyone casually having a swim.

here's some of the things I saw:








Japanese PO usually have an ATM that accepts international cards....  






 I came across a Rest Stop area - there was an info booth there, so I went in and asked a young nervous girl about accommodation in Sukomo and she rang ahead and fixed up a room at a business hotel...  these rather pretentious hotels are pretty basic, always clean and tidy and helpful and around $70 for the night including Japanese breakfast - so quite reasonable!!  (the front lobby is always very extravagant and the receptionists are always in a corporate suit and trot around bowing and being extremely charming.  I come in looking windblown, a tad grotty and probably smelling a tad and they treat you as if you're the queen - almost!)

So I checked out the toilet facilities

thankfully there was an option - sans spider

and Western style :)
 and then went upstairs and had a sit down lunch - instead of my usual snack of rice crackers, processed cheese and a banana or a mandarin - or both !!

without the chicken!!  Omelette wrapped around a pile of tomato spiced rice....
and an elegant cup of coffee!



some things never change



Got to the hotel at around five and guess what was hanging on the wall in my room!  
a Carl Larsen print - my favourite Swedish artist!!  
aaahhhh just like home!



2 comments:

  1. Loving the piccies and the journey. So, you must be starting to count down how many days you have left now as you have been travelling for a fortnight ... but don't think about that too much ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't talk to me about Countdown :( this blog is behind me so yes, here I am in Matsuyama - at the end of my major cycling. am climbing the steps to Matsuyama castle this morning. It right outside my hotel room and I would be able to see it if there wasn't another building in the way :) but tomoz HIroshima for a coupla days before bullet training back to Kobe and to the airport.... boring! ahhh but so many wonderful memories :)

    ReplyDelete