Sunday 18 October 2015

15 October - Off to Uwajima for 2 nights - 1 rest day

The weather has been so kind to me and as a cyclist - maybe too hot for some,  but the temp being in the upper 20's suits me just fine.  The road is usually quite shaded and the breeze is cool.

my memory of my coastal ride up the east coast of Shikoku doesn't include mountain climbing, but today was another day of riding up over the ridges.  maybe because I am riding on minor roads this time, there's a lot less tunnels and these roads follow ancient ones, just been maintained to a pretty good standard (unlike last year's experience in Russia!!!)

so sea side scenery, but some looking down from a great height.  lots of tiny fishing villages tucked into little gullies - there seems to be obvious an "Tsuanmi route" heading up a hill, but could a whole village of approx 500 people be able to get up these steep paths in time???  a mystery!




who's offering to reverse down this driveway??


busy fishing boats fussing around amongst the oyster trays



catching our breath before we head off down - yay!!!!





High as a kite!!

This couple were doing it a bit different - he was driving and she was walking - but it was all smiles!

he stopped the car and brought me this fruit - I think it was a wild one as he was gesturing up to the hills
it was quite lovely, tangy and refreshing and most of the seeds were swallowed!


peering over the edge into someone's  back yard

no!!!  not Matsuyama yet!!

old and new tiles - think I like the old ones best!



A Bike Tunnel!!!!!  just for me!!!  about 1km long - cool, clean and lots of light
& No Cars!!!!!






Made it Uwajima - this little guy was getting a lot of attention - think he's got something
to do with all the mandarins being grown in this region.

3 comments:

  1. Love the birdie piccie. Bet you are looking forward to your rest day.

    Speaking of seeing weird and wonderful things, my cats just alerted me (about 1am Sunday night) to something out in the yard. Merlin had a look out the window, jumped up onto the table, and looked at me with wide eyes that said, "What the f*ck is THAT???". So, I turned on the outside spotties in time to see a Brahman cow or bull walking along one of my garden paths right by the bedroom window. Ah, the joys of living out in the bush ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to ask what that fruit tasted like as it looks quite similar to a passion fruit (with a very thick skin).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gad you bushies do have weird visitors!! poor Merlin! and yes, I think the fruit was probably somewhat related to passionfruit - not as sweet but it was a wild fruit so hasn't been mucked around with... not as juicy, but definitely good stuff:) another example of Shikoku's hospitality!

    ReplyDelete