Friday 4 August 2017

Chasing the sunshine - to Townsville

there comes a time in the winter time in Brisbane when the cold nights and mornings just get to being too much - so let's pack up and head north for a wee while.

now that I am a pensioner, thought I would take advantage of the cheap train travel, so booked a seat (not a sleeper) on the Spirit of Queensland and on 26/8 packed Hennie into her bag and called the taxi.  when we got to train station and checked in our baggage, Hennie weighed more than 20kg - in fact 600g more - so I had to open up the bag and remove the small empty handlebar bag to get it under 20kg.  funny tho - its a bike, its got wheels, if I didn't have to bag her up, we could have just wheeled it onto the train....  like in so many other countries!!

I thought I liked train travel - but I guess 18 hours and mostly overnight is not that fascinating.  I did enjoy the few hours in the next morning, checking out what birds I could see from the window - and spotted quite a few - including a white-necked stork or jabiru and some brolgas - definitely getting north.

so it was great to finally arrive - and have time to dash off for coffee and a doughnut before Karina dashed off to work.  I had a little rest then got Hennie back into working order again and pedalled over to the Strand and to catch up with friend over a cuppa.  Townsville is busy at the moment, with Strand Ephemera exhibition along the Strand and many visitors for the Chamber Music Festival.

and beautiful blue skies and warm gentle breezes - feels just right to be here.
Dear old Magnetic Island - will be seeing you soon
my next car

another view of Magnetic Island
On Friday I headed off with a couple of birdwatchers out to the dry lands of Woodstock where I readjusted my ears and racked my brain to remember the sounds I heard and to tie them into what I might be looking at.  there were so many sounds that I eventually remembered, but some I didn't - especially this little brown job - Singing Bush Lark, who posed so nicely for our cameras




 and the little Squatter Pigeon, who squatted on the road long enough to drag out the camera, switch it on, remove lens cap - zoom and focus and phew - its still there!!  a miracle!



 After a very short bike ride for me on Saturday morning (to the coffee shop) and a rather longer one for Karina and a nice strong coffee at Dominion - we got Ruby out of the garage and went for a quick drive up into the mountains to Paluma - to enjoy the Devonshire tea at Ivy Cottage...  Not quite the same atmosphere of 30 years ago, but trying :)  and the scones and jam were delicious!!



so a great start to a northern adventure - maybe there will be some more bike riding stories to tell later!

No comments:

Post a Comment