Friday 11 August 2017

Hidden Valley

Thursday 10 August 2017

My slumber was interrupted early in the morning by the wind raging wildly outside...  Oh crap!  August winds!  how I hated them then - and I still hate windy weather, whether I am cycling or not.  but there's not much one can do about the weather...

Continental breakfast was fine - then I gathered my binocs and camera and headed off for a walk up Pine Creek...  This creek has water flowing year round, in places it rests in the rockholes and in other places it dips under the sandy creek bed - looking like its dried up, but actually filtering the water making it a really clean source for the Cabins.









There was another house further up from the cabins - no-one at home - and Wells' place across the creek looked abandoned..  the birds kept me grabbing for the binocs and the scenes kept me busy with my camera.  I really like that country and I am thankful that I spent 3 years of my life there.

I saw the track that the Paluma push uses to rush to the finish line at the Cabins...  maybe one year???  one doesn't have to race!

The wind continued to hassle the trees, but I decided that Hennie and I were made of stern stuff, so after waiting for the freshly baked bread to cool down, Bonnie made me a super salad sandwich and we headed back up the Valley to the old pub and down to the swimming hole in Running River.  There was a lot more tangled debris and a bit more filled in with sand - but still clear in my memory.  I could hear wrens twittering, brown honeyeaters warbling and a squawk of a cockatoo...  I tried to get close enough to see the wrens (probably Variegated), but they just kept out of sight in the tangle of rubber-vine (which didn't use to be here!)



The site of the old Hidden Valley pub - all gone :(


on the way back, I stopped at the creek crossing and spotted another mix of honey-eaters, triller and flycatchers before riding back through Furbers' cattle that were snoozing along the road and generally messing up the road.  4 squatter pigeons scattered off the road - yay, another tick!  and so back into the township of Hidden Valley.  Changed but not that much - Stan & Deelo's home still standing, but there was no-one at home...  no welcoming cuppa and cake (or glass of port!) and Stan's stories are now silent...  but the tales and laughter remain in my memories!
Deelo's place

refurbished Running River Bridge


Pale-headed Rosella intent on sucking the honey from the grevillea


Just one more place to visit - so I turned down Harpers road and caught up with Coral and Eddie.

and then back to the Cabins for another good meal and an early night.  big day ahead tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment