Saturday 28 September 2019

Pfaffing in Vienna

So begins my latest adventure.  After breakfast, I loaded up Hennie and got Map.Me onto finding me a bike shop.  Apparently there was one just down the road about 2km.  So we headed off on a very pretty bike path that lead past a theatre, along a rushing river - but not the Danube. 
The path was lined my tall trees mostly chestnut and birch, all starting to get their leaves ready to drop.  Slight downer - bike shop no longer open, just an empty building.  Bah!  well, lets head into the city and find that Bus Terminal, so I could drop my bags into lockers there and head into the city unladen.  Well, that was still there, so I eventually found the lockers and with a little help, worked out how to open it and pack my bags in and close it.  Just hoped I can find this place again, but making use of Map.Me and it is working well. 
Next into the city and Eva had said I must go on the Historical Ferris Wheel, so away we went.  It didn't feel like I was in a city - a huge park was a joy to ride through, with autumn colours turning the leaves golden.
This lead into the Amusement park - not the travelling kind, with all sorts of traditional rides, like roller coasters, crazy flinging around things and horror houses of course.  I could see the ferris wheel, so headed towards it.  Couldn't find anywhere safe looking to lock Hennie to, so I parked her just inside the entry and waited a bit to see if anyone was complaining.  But no...  so I bought a ticket and after going thru a museum area with dioramas of a genteel time in Vienna when the ferris wheel was first built.  Eventually found the exit (bit of a maze with mirrors) and fronted up at the gate.  Now I am not usually a fan of ferris wheels, but this one was very gentle - we only had one circle and it went very slowly, giving us plenty of time to take photos of the city below. 
By now, lunch time had come and almost gone, so I decided that I would track down the Kunst Haus Wein as directed by Emma.  so after a bit of pfaffing around trying to work out how to get there, plus getting told off my an irate woman about something...  I found the museum and decided that lunch was a priority and so went into the cafe and ordered the Zucchini lasange with salad and and apple juice...  how healthy was that!  very tasty!
I really love the colourful paintings of Hundertwasser and was really impressed with the couple of tapestries woven from his designs.  its worth a google to get an idea, because no photography was allowed in the gallery. 
Already its 4pm and I have to get back to the lockers before the phone's battery went flat.  This Map.Me is really saving lotsa dramas, so I was happy once again to be reunited with my panniers and headed off to the Ibis Sank Marx for the night.  It was really not far away and luckily I arrived just before a busload of tourists! 
After a bit of a rest and a shower I went downstairs and around the corner to Billa and bought up some food for the trip, a salad and a beer and I was set for the night.
Here's some pics of things I saw today...  hope you enjoy them.














3 comments:

  1. Oh my, travel envy is setting in. However, please keep the pics and commentary coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have you along for the ride :) stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics! Well worth the ride on the Ferris wheel to get to see the town from above. What a pretty city!

    ReplyDelete