Sunday 16 July 2017

Toogoolawah to Fernvale

A heavy fog created a mystical start, but eventually lifted to reveal another blue sky day.  I had a little bit of trouble finding the start of the trail, but luckily Peter the Ranger saw me wobbling around and rescued me and set me off in the right direction.

Similar sort of countryside - grazing country with cows and horses mooching along the trail.  More gates, more creek crossings to make me grunt whilst pushing Hennie up the path, but the trail was in much better shape and easier to ride along.  I actually met a couple of cyclists for the first time along the trail and even more further along the way.  Had a chat with a couple of the hikers that were part of the Diabetes Walk.  Real coffee and carrot cake were a welcome refreshment in Esk - there are heaps of cafes to chose from, but I stuck with the bakery - always good value...

a much easier day riding, especially the section between Cominya and Fernvale (I had ridden this in 2012 on Nellie - and it certainly has improved since then!)  lost my cool tho at one "gateway" - the gate was locked and the access for bikes was over two wide poles set apart the distance of a front and a back wheel.  This meant lifting the front wheel over the first post, then hauling Hennie up so her front wheel was on the next post, while her back wheel was coming up over the first post - yeah, I guess if you're a young bloke on a mountain bike, this wouldn't be much problem - but I never saw any of those on the trail.  Advised later that these posts are to stop motor bikes - came across another couple of these "crossings" closer to Ipswich and really do wonder at the mentality of thinking these are a good idea.....

The Lowood community has certainly worked hard at getting their section very welcoming!  the entry of the town was lined with a wide variety of thriving native trees and shrubs, already populated with lots of birds - honeyeaters and wrens flitting around beautifully!

it was a much easier 70km travelled today and I was quite surprised just how big a town Fernvale was - even had a Woolies to buy some breakfast supplies and my room at the motel was really comfy too.
Foggy start - think that is a speed limit sign from old railway


another creek crossing

Under the bridge

I wish these bridges were decked & accessible for riding
like the bridges on Central Otago Rail Trail, NZ

Esk Railway Station

Again, the budget spent on cement crossing rather
utilising the existing bridge - :(

Lost my cool right here!!!



Nice place for lunch break





Just maybe - are they going to deck this one??  I hope so!!!

Brisbane River


No comments:

Post a Comment