Saturday 1 April 2017

Plain sailing all the way down to Christchurch

after the past 2 days, the ride into Christchurch was such a welcome relief...  and it reminded me of the reasons why I go cycling around....  a slight tail wind and a gentle downward slope make for a very easy day of riding...  the first 20 mins saw an avg speed of 28.6kph!!  wow!!  and that's even including the first 6km on a gravel road - Old Tramway...  but I decided to get back onto the main road as why would one waste a tail wind on a rough gravel road!  So Maggie and I were flying along...  but the closer to town, there was more and more traffic, so when I looked again at the suggestion I'd been given to get away from the traffic, I decided to take it...  I knew it would be longer, but hadn't really factored in another 30km...  but the weather and the roads made for an easy 93km.
By now the spectacular landscapes were well behind me and it was flat flat farmlands with a wide variety of hedges.  I think a wise business to be in around here, would be hedge trimming....  pine, cypress, even gum trees all planted close together made me think that on other occasions there's bound to be a bit of a gale blowing but thankfully for me there was just a gentle breeze...
so not many photos taken on this last leg of my trip....  here's just a few....
Loved the old world charm of Smiley's YHA in Springfield


seems to be the season for weird and wonderful fungi

this ridge out the back of the hostel always had a fringe of cows!

Smiley's YHA Springfield...  The Only place to stay in Springfield

My room was an attic behind the tree on the left...  loved it!

Saying goodbye to the Ranges and the West Coast - what a wonderful journey it has been

Lunch at a rather nice cafe and the beginning of my detour away from the main road

the mushrooms are big here in NZ, so I parked Maggie in the shade of one

Serious stuff this snacking business

My dream home

Autumn colours are really starting to kick in now

Picturesque creek on the outskirts of Christchurch


No comments:

Post a Comment