Monday 3 April 2017

Last Day of a great holiday

Its always hard to find a silver lining in the last day of a holiday - especially as this holiday had been so much fun (already those hills have almost been forgotten).  The sky was blue, the sun was warm, so one last pedal around before heading out to the airport.

Sumner was suggested, so I headed off to the east.  A tail wind helped (never forget those tail winds) but it was hard to get that enthused about suburbs on one side and an almost calm sea on the other...  the spectacular sights of the West Coast overshadowed anything I saw along the way - no silver linings out this way.

It was a pleasant enough little pedal, but soon I was back at my lodgings gathering my bits and pieces together for the final pedal out to the airport.  I had booked into the rather flash motel Sudima right in the grounds of the airport as I had an early flight out in the morning.  It was run by a Japanese company - so it was a little confusing...  it was sooo Japanese business hotel... I began to wonder where I was...

but first, Maggie must be dismantled and strapped up tightly in her bag and stored in the luggage room.  then a nice long hot shower and off to restaurant for dinner...  but it was fully booked!  just ring for room service, its the same menu!  Now why didn't I think of that in the first place!!

so.... that was it...  West Coast of South Island, New Zealand, done and dusted...  what a beautiful piece of the world.  Ferny forests so beautiful, bountiful birds (tho not so many endemic ones) so many different rivers, creeks and streams and the sea pounding against the coastline.  No big cities or towns to get lost in - friendly people generally, but found the country pubs a bit hostile.  A thoroughly enjoyable holiday, the kind I like best - natural environment, without too much man-made stuff to block the view...  and I think there is still more to explore in New Zealand, so think I'll be heading back that way again!

and the traffic was OK....  a few close passes by the usual idiots, a few too many trucks as always, a lot more buses than usual and a heap more cycling tourers!  its the most I have seen on any of my travels.  most were friendly and would stop for a chat.  I had a wonderful chat with an Indonesian couple who had also stopped to look at a specky view of snow-capped mountains - they were such warm and friendly people and loving their holiday too.

and once again, dear Maggie came along for the ride - the episode with the cracked rim forgiven (it saved me from one of the hardest sections to ride!) and she returned home, with a few new scratches, an inferior rear wheel and maybe thoughts of taking it easier in the future...  so now to research for an actual touring bike that will carry all my gear with a tad more stability than Maggie who was designed to get me to work and back each day, but has come along on 5 wonderful trips! stay tuned!

here's a coupla pics from my final ride out to Sumner
little creek fair ripping along in suburb where I stayed

Hail Maggie full of grace!




quirky sculpture somewhere along the way

Autumn was definitely arriving

But next door - no sign of the builders

Punting in Hagley

so English!

No comments:

Post a Comment