Wednesday 5 July 2023

Dreary damp day

 Weather forecast said rain... and the streets did look a little wet, but visibility was probably only 500m - almost a total white out.  Was it mist, fog or smog?  I went for a stroll and discounted the mist theory as it didn't feel damp, so not sure how to describe it!

But it didn't really matter!  I had planned to just zone out a tad today and get stuff in order for departure day on Thursday.  I went back to the coffee shop with free wifi, bought an esspresso and a waffle, drowned in maple syrup for breakfast, then came back to the room to chill out.

On Maps.Me there was a Paradise Shopping centre on the next block, so Great!  I thought to do some shopping for the kids as I have neglected this so far and time is running out!

So over I went.  Wow! pretty impressive buildings, there's supposed to be an Art Space also within, so in I go!  Again Wow!  what a huge empty space!  a couple people strolling around looking lost, including myself.  Most of the shop spaces were empty and closed.  There was one shop selling teddy bears, nothing really unusual there.  There was a ladies dress shop, but not for me.  There were a couple of gelato 'wagons' both unmanned.  The only other shops that were open were cafes and restaurants - with barely a patron or two!

Now, is this space empty because of Covid and downturn in international travellers, or was it some marketing magical dream that is basically a total flop?  I suspect the latter.  Its a bit over a km from the actual arrivals/departure section of the airport and although there's a Best Western and some other fancy hotel nearby, doesn't mean their visitors are going to want to shop when they're either going or coming back from Seoul...

The only Art Space I found, had a replica statue of some Italian dude (I guessed) and some other modern installations, numbering about 4 or 5 pieces.  

So back to my room.  Where I spent the rest of the day, sorting photos etc and generally doing nothing.

By the end of the day, the fog had lifted and I could see an occasional aeroplane arriving and departing and there was even a low mountain rain in the distance.  

so a non-excitement sorta day!







No comments:

Post a Comment