Monday 30 April 2018

Day 4 - Exit Kyoto - hello forests and Lake Biwa

There's never enough time to see all you want to see, but The Bamboo Walk was top of my list - but it was in the wrong direction.  well, its only another 10km out and back, I can do that...  Think everyone else in Kyoto thought the same and so another crowded event.  a little disappointed tho - the bamboo was quite pale - obviously its not the right time of the year and too many people to enjoy its magic...

The river near by was quite pretty with old punts taking tourists for a ride... a magic encounter with a woman playing a bamboo flute down by the riverside, did feel really authentic.

but as usual, I got lost, but found myself before I had gone too far and eventually got onto the road I had planned and headed for the hills...  a gentle hill but the traffic added an unwanted effect..  but all good especially as there was a wonderful downhill swoop to the shores of Lake Biwa - the largest lake in Japan and apparently the 2nd oldest in the world - or so I've been told...

with a little help from the friendly staff at Toyopet (car sales place I think!) who printed out Google maps showing me the way to a wonderful little Japanese Inn that was pet-friendly - and I mean really friendly...  every one had a pet or 4 except me..  I got to talk to and pet the old daschound that belong to Kiyo - the boss - and a Samurai woman too!  very friendly family run business - wonderful hot bath and just generally the sorta place I love - no pretensions here!  so all good!

opened the window and listened to the gentle waves reaching the shores and had the best sleep ever!
btw - the reception area's ceiling was plastered with photos of all the pets and there were 3 or 4 Westies visiting too...  they sounded just like Laddie!

Farewell Standard Cabin - comfy if a little tight!

love these curved bridges

was tempted, but time doesn't always stretch that far!

beautiful flute playing - was just right

bamboo walk - crowded and still a bit early

back to the hills and forest (and traffic)






Westies on holiday down at Lake Biwa












2 comments:

  1. Love the photos! Looks like you’re really getting into the Japanese way of doing things with the double peace signs! :P

    ReplyDelete