Sunday 1 April 2012

Heading south to Ikea

This time I decided to go south to see how far the bike path goes - or how steep!

Quiet little Norman Creek
I headed out along Birdwood Road over Norman Creek, under the Motorway and  through the traffic lights and onto the path alongside Bapaume Road. 


Not going to Erica's today
Bapaume Road, boring!
  Instead of heading right towards Erica's I continued south onto the bike path that hugs the Motorway.





  I was pleasantly surprised that the ridge alongside the Toohey State Forest wasn't too steep and it was great to be riding with the bush on one side at least - slightly spoilt by the busy motorway on the other side.  But on a Sunday morning, the traffic wasn't too bad.

Toohey Forest to the right, Motorway to the left
I didn't check the distance this bike way goes, but it follows along the Motorway for quite a way.  Its got a boring fenced in feeling - with a closed fence sometimes on the motorway side, or on both sides, or high closed fence to protect the suburbs from the noise of the motorway.






Riding along on my push-bike, honey















still riding!
getting that fenced in feeling


There weren't too many people on bike way, which is always a bonus.  Had Etrek strapped on board and somewhere around Mt Gravatt, it got stuck and I didn't notice it until I was down to Eight Mile Plains.  Thankfully, I did the 'switch off switch on' trick and it found me again. 




 



out onto the streets, Banksia country






























I stopped for a small cup of coffee and a few nuts in a empty carpark.  At first I didn't realise that it was opposite one of those Hallelujah churches and it soon began to fill up with happy clappers, so I thought I had better get on my bike before I got ushered into the church!
Carpark coffee spot


Riding with Mr Big!

















Not much further on, the bike path totally vanished so I had no choice but to ride along Logan road towards Springwood.  Well, now that I am this far south, I might as well get a taste of Sweden and ride onto Ikea. 

It didn't seem too long before I could see the blue and yellow building coming into sight, so I did a ride through the car park, but wasn't game to go inside.  I can always find something in there but can't carry that much on my bike.


            


Taste of Sweden in sight

Damn this diet, no dammsugare today
But I did need a new day pack, so went into Anaconda instead and found a few things there - including a day pack, so was able to carry my new knicks in the pack!

It was only 16km down there, so I turned around and headed home.  The wind was now blowing quite strongly, but from behind!  Beauty!  I finished off my coffee & nuts in a little park, then rode back to Kessels Road, turned right and dropped into the Hibiscus Sports centre and changed into my togs and went for a swim.  This time, I was able to make the 20 laps with not too much effort - yes, very slowly but I made it!

After getting back into bike gear, I pedalled east and picked up some salad stuff and dropped in to have lunch with Matias.

So a bit of a boring ride - I think that's enough suburban riding.  I think in future I will check out some rides out of town.  Rosie can be called in to transport us to a starting point a bit more exciting.  Stay tuned!








No comments:

Post a Comment